Filter

Discussions about turtles.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hello again!

When I bought the filter for my turtles tank a few weeks ago, the people at the pet store I went to weren\'t very specific as to how often I should change the filtering parts of it. I know that I have to change the bags inside the filter one at a time, but how often do I have to do this?

For example, the ammonia bag is getting all red and black from the dirt from the turtle food, even though I take it out and rinse it every week when I clean out the tank. How often do I change the ammonia bag or the carbon bag or the sponge?

Please help.
Thank you.
Shai631 :)
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

I would suggest rinsing them with aquarium water every two weeks, and replace them every month or two, don\'t change them all at the same time, let me guess, you got a Aquaclear, right? from my own experience, turtles are not as water sensitive as for fish. So you just have to keep the water clean for the turtle. This is what I do now, I take the turtle out and feed him in a bucket, my tank is always clean and clear of left over food.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for the info. I like your idea of feeding them outside of the cage. It makes sense. I know that the turtles don\'t really need the filter, but for my (and my family\'s) nose\'s sake, we need to keep that tank as clean as possible.

P.S.
It is an Aquaclear filter, do you recommend that I use another brand?
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

well, the Aquaclear is an excellent filter for fish tanks. As for turtles, unless you fill the water all the way to the top(which I dont\' think you would..not for the turtles!). It will make the water fall quite noisy. I use an underwater(fully submersable) filter, and it pretty much does only the \"mechanical filtering\" part, which is fine for turtles. I personally do not believe \"biological filtration\" is neccesary FOR TURTULES. If you do decide to get an underwater filter, get a good size that will hold alot of ....you know, turtle poop. Also, if you add a little \"non-iodized\" salt to the turtle\'s water, it will help keep the bad smell down. These are just some of my experiences.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it. I\'m going to go filter shopping this weekend for one of those underwater filters.
:D
noeylani
Level 1
Level 1

While you are shopping look at the Magnum 350. Its an external filter and a bit pricy but I can say it was the best money I ever spent. I have a 40 gallon tank and I only change the water 1x per month ( I do add water every few days) Once you find what you want look on Ebay because you might find it for a better price.
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

Or try www.bigalsonline.com they are very cheap
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for all your help!
I wound up going to pet store, but they didn\'t have the one that you recommended. I am going to try this other store I heard about, and if not I will order it online (they do have some cheap prices on that site).
Thanks again!
:D
  • Information