I need for turtle help!

Discussions about turtles.
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

Is there anyone available for some turtle tutoring? (SP?)

I need some major help, THANK YOU!
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Hi! My name is Kim and I know a few things about turtles. I can probably help you with a lot of you questions. I have two Eastern Box turtles and 5 RES (red eared sliders).

-Kim
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Kim, my name is Carrie, and about 3 wks ago I found what I believe is a hatchling turtle in the gutter of my driveway. Now I know that there are a lot of people who disagree with taking in a turtle from the wild, but I live in Florida and when I found her Hurricane Charley was about to hit us. I simply could not turn my back on this little girl. I called a local pet store and they said since she had webbed feet and claws she was probably a water turtle. So off I went to buy whatever I could to make her the best possible home. For about 3 and a half weeks, Yellow Belly (her name given by our son) swam, but would hardly bask on her rock, if at all. Her shell started to look funny around her scutes? and her skin started to peel. Now we have Hurricane Frances on her way so off to the pet store I go , with Yellow Belly. Once they took a look at her, they said she was a land turtle, probably some type of Box. So out comes the water, and in goes the sand, and as hard as I try to feed her land turtle food, veggies, fruits, she wont eat. She only wants brime shrimp, which I have to place in her water bowl, with her. She buries herself in the sand. She has a yellow under belly, with dark brown areas as well(hince the name) yellow dots around her marginal shell, faint yellow stripes on her head/neck area. Yellow spots on her tail, and I think yellow stripes on her back legs. And webbed feet w/ claws. Do you have any idea what type she could be? Her shell looks more dome than flat. But she is only about the size of a quarter. Any help you could give would be great. how should I set up her home if she is a \"land\" turtle? what should I feed her if she wont eat fruits, veggies, or \"land\" turtle food? Should I keep feeding her brime shrimp?
I want to thank you for all your help, I really love this little girl.

Thanks,
Carrie
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Wow! Carrie, you are one of the coolest people I know! You find a tiny turtle in your gutter and you do all in your power to save her!

You really have me convused here. I don\'t know. Your discription of Yellow Belly at times sounds like she is an RES, but at others, she sounds like a land turtle. What kinds of turtles are native to your area? Maybe she is a Painted or something, maybe a Mud. Look on the internet. See if you can find any info about native Florida turtles.

Can you send a picture? I bet I could tell you what she is if I could see her.

What is she living in right now? A tank? She\'s so small that it probably doesn\'t matter now, but when she gets bigger you should buy a bigger tank. With RES it is 10 gallons for every inch of their shell so I figue that will work with a land turtle too. Mine are loose in the house all day exept at night. Then they are in a 50 gallon tank. They are 5in. long. (Eastern Box Turtles)

Feed her anything that she will eat untill you find out what she is.

See if you can send a pic!

-Kim
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

You posted on the other forum too but ill help you too. I found out the way to tell if its water or land. If it has feet wiht 5 claws and not flat but kinda curved and webbed its a water, also if it can completely submerge and atay under for awhile or dive deep and stay under for awhile its aquatic def. And box turtles hate SAND they love vegetation and wood chips around htem they have flat feet that have 3-5 toes and they rarely bask and are always hugnry. I have a wild caught box turtle that eats wardleys turtle food only. So it might not be uncommon cause he loves water too
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you Kim for all your help. I have looked at soooo many websites trying to figure her out, but I can not find anything that looks like her. I am almost thinking she is just too small. I know that here in Florida box turtles are common, that is why I\'m leaning towards a Gulf Coast Box, BUT I live on the east coast of Florida. I have done a lot of research on RES\'s and even yellow bellied Sliders but her shell is nowhere near those. I tried last night to post a picture of her w/our web cam, but we couldnt get it to work. do you happen to have Yahoo messenger? I could always give you my messenger address and hook up the web cam then you could see her. Thats just a thought. Right now I have her in a 5 1/2 gallon tank with sand, basking ledge, uv light, a small \"palm tree\" w/ water bowl. I also threw in some live snails, but she wont eat them. I am totally stressed out, I love this turtle so much, I just want to do right by her. Someone else said that she sounds like a box turtle, and they love water, to have her tank 1/2 land, and 1/2 water. I\'m just afraid she\'ll never come out of the water, and she\'ll get water logged so to speak. I also read that Gulf Coast Box\'s are the most to love the water, and often dig to hide as a hatchling. Oh boy who knows. Again any advice, or words of wisdom would help me sleep better, plus make Yellow Belly happier!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!
Carrie
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

rodeo144 wrote:
You posted on the other forum too but ill help you too. I found out the way to tell if its water or land. If it has feet wiht 5 claws and not flat but kinda curved and webbed its a water, also if it can completely submerge and atay under for awhile or dive deep and stay under for awhile its aquatic def. And box turtles hate SAND they love vegetation and wood chips around htem they have flat feet that have 3-5 toes and they rarely bask and are always hugnry. I have a wild caught box turtle that eats wardleys turtle food only. So it might not be uncommon cause he loves water too

Thank you for your help too. Can you tell i\'m in a panic? She has 5 claws on the front, and 4 claws in the back, I do believe that her feet look flat?! I think she can stay under for a little while, but not for a long amount of time. But she is so small. She def. has yellow stripes on her neck/head area, also around her feets and tail. Very short stubby tail. If she hates sand, and would like wood chips what kind?

As is suggested to Kim, if you have yahoo messenger, I could hook up my web cam, and you can see my pretty little baby.

Thank you for your help. I\'ll be online most of the night, so if you see this I hope to hear back from you.

Carrie
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

By the way it looks like she has two \"bar bells under her chin if that helps.

Thanks again.

Carrie
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Short and stubby it either box or painted. But its ok to be panic\'d i was at first and i grew out of it and tell me how to see a picture of the baby turtle you have, please.
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Cedar chips usually.
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

Do you have yahoo messenger?
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

no i only have aol instant messenger
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

rodeo44 how about I send you an email?
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

We dont have aol, we have msn though. I wonder how we can do this, I really want you to see her
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

if only i had an email address i only have aol casue its easiest to DL
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

Could you down load yahoo messenger? then you can delete it after u see her? just a thought.
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

I wish i could but i have absolutley no space elft to dl anythign whatsoever.
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

oh well it was a thought, a friend of ours is gonna let us borrow his dig cam tomorrow, how can you post a pic an this website?
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

not sure ask slidersorc he posts them all the time
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

ok i\'ll try to fig it out. do water turtles have bar bells under their chin?
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

bar bells.....umm not from what i saw if you mena bubbles on the sides of heir heads it menas ear infection
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

no there looks to be two little pieces of skin under her chin, some websites i\'ve been to call them bar bells. They look like little skin wiskers.
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

oh my turtles have never had them but ive seen RES with them.

P.S. ive had all snappers
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

i have to go for the night so i wont be on untill tommorow and check i think he could be a spotted turtle if he has spots on his shell. bye bye
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

from what i\'ve seen of res\'s yellow belly isnt one. If she has 5 claws on front and 4 claws on back, looks like flat footed- boxie?

how do i set up the cedar chips? Doesnt seen comfie.

what type of veg?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Hi again, Carrie! I use cedar chips. Well, I use chips and some compost from horse manure that has decomposed and is kind of like dirt and wood chips mixed together. And if you didn\'t already know, I am HORSE CRAZY!!! I have a horse, C.J.

Anywho, first I put down the compost so that they can dig down deep if they want to but it doesn\'t get really $$$. Then I spread an about a one inch deep layer of chips on top of that. They seem to like it!

I have AOL so you can E-mail me the pics (if that\'s possible) but I don\'t have Yahoo messenger, just IM. :( i don\'t exactly know what that means, I\'m just getting the hang of this computer stuff. :)

Write back soon!

-Kim
Shelly Turtle

Hi Carrie
It is very easy to post a picture in this forum. You have to have your picture up on a website or picture album. After the picture is up, visit the web page or album... Right click on the picture, out of the list that shows up click \"Properties\" ( right at the bottom)... Out of the box that then shows up you want the part that says \"Address (URL):\" Highlight the address next to that and right click - copy it, then paste it in a post ... it will look like this - http://hstrial-rmuth.homestead.com/Shelly_side.jpg
Then add [img!] on the front, and [/img!] on the end of the URL address ( but without the ! marks).
With the IMG tags properly added, the picture will show up -
If you have too much trouble, tell me and I will do it for you... also if you dont have a webpage to a put a picture up on, I can put it on mine for you... I emailed you last night so if it doesen\'t work for you, you can just email me the picture.
Sorry if my explanation is a bit involved, I do not know how computer literate you are, and I have never explained picture posting before.
Rebecca
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by Trailrider on Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Hey Carrie!
Try going to the site!
www.Turtlehomes.com

-Kim
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

Hey there guys, sorry I just got home from work. Long Day!!!!!

Thank you all for the help, let me see if I can get some pictures up so maybe we all can figure out what my little girl is.
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

Do water or semi water turtles have the bar bells under their chin? Cuz Yellow Belly has them. This has me totally stressed!
  • Information