What kind of baby do I have?

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

About 3 wks. ago I found a really small baby turtle in the gutter of our driveway, I took her in due to hurricane Charley was on the way. I called a local pet store and was told that if the turtle had webbed feet it was probably a water turtle, 1 day prior tp Charley, we went to buy a set up- however after weeks of watching her swim, bot basking, her skin started to pell, and the shell around her scutes was looking gray, I was scared she was sick. Anyway before Hurricane Frances hit us I brought her and her house to the pet store,m they said a box turtle, so out of the water she came, sand went in, and now she lays in the sand. She wont eat land turtle food, only brime shrimp. (Must place her in her water bowl) She is about the size of quarter, has a yellow underbelly, with a dark patch, has faint yellow stripes and spots on her face, neck, tail, and (I think) Legs. She has yellow spots around the marginal shell. She has webbed feet, with claws, a pointed nose, which she just sticks out of the water when she needs air. But again she does not bask. She loves to dive off her basking rock into the water. Does anyone know what kind or type she is?
I(we)love her so much. Please if anyone can help, I will owe you my life. Sorry this is so long! Thank you for all the help. Please someone help Yellowbelly and her family. Carrie
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Does she have a dome shell? Or a Flatter shell Look at the Turtle Species part of this website.
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

It looks as if she has a dome type shell. I almost wonder if shes a Gulf Coast Box turtle, but I am having a heck of a time finding pictures of these as a hatchling. I just want to take the best care possible. I never knew you could love a turtle so much.
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Heh you can love turtles as much as you love your family. But back to your subject your turtle has a domed shell then its a box turtle and i dont doubt that he loves to be in the water. As most box turtles do, i think you should get a long tank if your goin ot keep him. It should have a landare and a sea area if you decide to buy one goto www.glasscages.com they are an awesome site
carrie13
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you so much for your help! So its ok if she\'s in the water a little? She will only eat brime shrimp, is that ok for now?
Again Thank you!
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

i replied on general forums thread
  • Information