Hi, need some help with a RES setup!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
sai_dee
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings everyone, I just bought 2 baby RES 3 days ago and need help setting up a tank. I am planning to start off small with a 10 gallon and go higher as they start growing since I don\'t have much space in my room at the moment. I honestly don\'t know much about setting up tanks, but i\'m planning on one of those Fluval or Zoomed 304 filter, a lamp....not sure which...for basking, and not sure what heater for them? Can anyone suggest a lamp and heater for me? I was planning on probably getting one of those heaters for fishes. I also heard that you don\'t neccessarily have to use uvb bulbs and that household 75watt bulbs will do fine also. Not sure if it\'s fact or myth, can someone please confirm? Thanks in advance!
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

UVB BULBS ARE NEEDED IF YOU WANT YOUR TURTLE TO LIVE!!! you need a place where they can climb out of their water and completely dry off. above this you should place a light to heat up the rock. a regular household bulb WILL work for this. you should filter at least 3x the water volume the filter reccomends. get a submersible heater with a heater guard so they dont bonk into it. and the last think whitch you didnt put in your post is you need 10 gallons of swimming room per inch of shell. say your turtles are an inch and a half long, you need 45 gallons of water. they get big and it is reccomended to buy the tank big so you dont need to upgrade later. if the post isnt long enough already i\'ll tell you to look at the above links for extra info: look at the above links for extra info.
sai_dee
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply, I desperately need help in finding a quality lamp, uvb bulbs, and a submergible heater for a decent price. Do you know any links to purchase any?
sai_dee
Level 1
Level 1

Those sites have nice suggestions and all but their quite pricey. I\'ll try to look for similiar products for less, thanks for the sites.
SonicB52
Level 1
Level 1

Thought I\'d post a reply since I\'m in the same situation with just getting 2 RES baby turtles that are 1.5\". I put them in a 10 gallon tank with a in tank filter, heater and clap lamp. I have the water temp at 78-80 degrees and the basking area seems to be at 84 degrees now with the the 60 watt zoo-med daylight blue bulb. Curious if I should also get a hood light, like I have on my fish tank with the much talked about Reptisun 5.0. Since I just took them to the vet since they haven\'t eaten anything since I got them and one of them doesn\'t look good at all. So I guess this is more than just a tank setup post. How do you guys get them to eat? The reptomin I put in just sits there all day.

Any suggestions would help.

Got to take them back to the vet in 4 days after using eye cream and supposed to somehow put food in their mouths.

Bryan
sai_dee
Level 1
Level 1

Sonic, I think they just need a little breaking in time. I usually put them in a smaller place to feed, sometimes they don\'t see it. Couple of nights ago, I conducted a test by separating them and placed a piece of food in each tank and found out they both eventually ate it. It was in smaller tanks though. If you have any like rubbermaids or something lying around, maybe you oughta try the same.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

well, even a normal desk lamp will work, just check the maximum volts/watts. walmart has em for like 5 bucks. the uvb bulbs are naturraly expensive. they are about 20-30 bucks a pop. you could find them at petco/petsmart. hope this helps
sai_dee
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, thanks for the help. I think I know what to buy. I am going to order a Ebo Jager submersible heater and I found a discount store around my area with giant clamp lamps for $5. I guess all I need now is to find a uvb bulb.
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

www.thatpetplace.com I have bought so much from them over the years of owning fish and now turtles and a snake. I can\'t seem to find a better priced place that has service I\'m still in awe about...
When I ordered three light bulbs I put them in and turned them on, the next morning one was out. Upon inspection the filiment burnt out... So I called them up and said please send me another bulb, the lady asked what happen I told her and she said they would give me another for free!!!

www.thatpetplace.com is Great- try it out.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I\'m going to check that site out!
  • Information