A little help with baby RES!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
sai_dee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, before I begin, i\'m a new member that just registered and love this forum! I been reading it for a little while now and it\'s filled with information and kind people!

Well anyways back to the topic. I just purchased 2 baby RES about 3 days, their both about 1 1/2\" by 1\". One of them seems fine although he naps a lot, but only for a couple of minutes at a time and is quite active when awake. The other one isn\'t too active and always has his head half way in stays on the bottom of the tank most of the time and I never saw it eating. He was in a little accident the first day I bought him, I was filling up the tank so I left him in the sink with very little running water. About 20 minutes later he was gone and we searched for him everywhere, and finally found him between some bottles. He must\'ve fell from about 3 feet high. We cleaned him up and he looked fine. Now he isn\'t really eating, should I force feed him? Thanks ahead of time!
deesygirl

Two trains of thought here.
The fall could have hurt him more than you realize. It could be that he has internal injuries that are not readily apparent. However if he has no bleeding from the mouth or nose, then I would look at an adjustment issue. It can take weeks for turtles to get accustomed to their new enviroment. Many don\'t eat much during this time. Try tempting him with smelly foods like tuna or sardines. Pre killed guppies are another good choice for finiky hatchlings. You also want to be careful of excessive handling. It can increase the \"scaryness\" of the transition for a shy turtle. I keep my tanks in a busy location in my house. Right in the middle of the living room. :) New turtles get accustomed to the setup and then I never have anymore problems...well at least until I change the tank setup.
Good luck
BTW, welcome to the forum. :)
sai_dee
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome deesygirl! Anyways, I performed a test last night. I separated the 2 and placed a piece of food in each and found out that they both eat. Just very little though, like about a third of a Reptomin stick. Although I do have another problem with the larger RES in my other post!
  • Information