need basking help

Discussions about turtles.
boomerang
Level 1
Level 1

Last edited by boomerang on Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOBANDTOM
Level 1
Level 1

A cheap and awesome way that my turtles love are go to Home Depot or and home improvement store and get 2 bricks you use to make sidewalks with and buy 1 odd shaped piece of sandstone rock. I layed the 2 side walk bricks (in by 10 gallon) so they are horizontal and layed the piece if sandstone on top then they have like a little cave to go in and a basking this cost me like $3.50 and they love it I had the floating dock but It also didn\'t work very well this Idea though has worked great and they love it.

P.S. remember to clean the rocks very well
boomerang
Level 1
Level 1

Aren\'t you afraid of him knocking it over. My turtle is very active. I don\'t know if something like that would work for him. He\'s about as big around (shell wise) as a grapefruit...maybe a little bit bigger.
BOBANDTOM
Level 1
Level 1

I will try to post a photo later because there is no way any res or 6-10 inch turtle could knock it over my turts are 4 inches and 1-1/2 inch
boomerang
Level 1
Level 1

Are your turtles water turtles? I forgot to mention that mine is. A picture would be greatly appreciated.
BOBANDTOM
Level 1
Level 1

Yes both of mine are res and are water turts
boomerang
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve been getting him out everyday and putting him in a box to bask for an hour. But I know he would like to be able to get out whenever he wants.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

My baby RES love those big cinder blocks because they can crawl inside AND on top, like BOBANDTOM said. But, my babies live out in a pond with a lot of cinder blocks. Hope this is of use to you!!! :)

-Kim
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

a think you could do is to buy some corkbark online and place that in your tank. you could buy some suction cups and use them too stay in place. thats more on the 10-15 dollar route though
  • Information