Heaters?

Discussions about turtles.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hi everyone!

I have a 20 gallon tank and a small stick type of heater that I bought about 6 weeks ago, it looks like a big thermometer with a long cord.

The problem with this heater is that I think it is too hot, it melted the plastic part that holds it up in the water and I saw it shooting sparks the other day (but inside of the glass, not into the water). It doesn\'t really heat up the water that well. Most of the time the water is only 70-74 degrees.
I know that this isn\'t good for the turtles, but if I take it out the water starts going beneath 70. I don\'t want the poor little creatures to get sick.

I was wondering, do any of you know of a good heater for a 20 gallon tank that won\'t break down as quickly?

Thanks,
Shai631.
axepoodle
Level 2
Level 2

Get rid of this heater fast, from what you\'ve described in the message, it\'s a \"safety hazard\". It might electricute the turle and you. The best heater that I know is a \"Rena Cal Top\", I use it in my Turtle tank as well as my other 8 fish tanks, they\'re great. As for wattage, if you fill your 20 gal tank less than half way with water, a 50 W will be enough. cheapiest place to get them is bigalsonline.com

Good luck
  • Information