How am I doing?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
sohcahtoa
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve had my RES hatchling for a week now. I am a turtle newbie. How am I doing with setup and feeding?

Hatchling: 1.5 in. carapace

10 gallon tank (I will get a bigger one when needed, but I had this tank left over from my old hamster).

Water depth: 5 in.

In it, I have a branch for him to climb on and a basking spot.

I don\'t have a UVB light as of yet, because it\'s been sunny all week with temps in the high 80\'s and I see him basking a lot when he\'s outside. I\'ll get one soon though for the fall/winter. What brand should I get? I know of Reptisun 5.0, but is there another one which may be cheaper but as reliable? How much UVB light should be emitted? 3%? 5%?

No water heater yet, but again, the water temp seems warm enough at night. I will get that when I get the UVB light (probably in another week or two). Again, which brands are best?

Feeding:
A small piece of boiled chicken and/or a small piece of boiled shrimp each day (it\'s the only thing he eats!) I give him 2 pellets of Nutrafin as well, but those are always untouched. I\'ve tried depriving him of chicken/shrimp so he would eat the pellets, but he refuses to. Am I feeding him too much or too little? How do I make him eat pellets? He\'s extremely active and is not scared of us.

Advice will be appreciated!
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

well for a turtle newbie your doing great. I was once a newbie but you live and learn quickly. you tengallon setup is great for a little until he grows to about 3inches then go for a 50 gallon so he wont need a bigger upgrade later. as for hte light just get anyone that has a turtle on the cover of the box i got a 60watt one in mine but i have a baby snapper in a 20 gallon. did you start him offo n shrimp and chicken? if so then thats why he wont eat pellets. but your doin pretty darn good for little creature. good luck with him i hope this is helpful
sohcahtoa
Level 1
Level 1

rodeo-are you saying that I spoiled him with the shrimp and chicken? :)

nooooooooo
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Its not spoiling him lol . Its just that hes had food that appeals to him alllllllooooooootttt more than pellets. ok ill give an example. you eat a piece of big chocolate bar.then your offered a piece of a nurtition bar that tastes horrible. if you fed him the health bar first he would take the health bar and the chocolate. its all about hte temptation
  • Information