weird hole soft spots on shell

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

i caught a sun turtle at the beginning of summer he was in the most polluted river ever. So it was liek rescueing him.

but his shells all black but for liek 5 soft spots
http://www.turtlesale.com/images/Snapper.jpg

i saw what it looked liek on this snapper........
any ay to get rid of it
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

thank you for all your replies.........ive been worried sick about this turtle and your tellin me not one of you can just tell em what it is?????? Please Please respond.....if oyu do thanks
Banany
Level 2
Level 2

hi, from what ive read a soft shell isn\'t good at all unless the turtle is a soft shell turtle. but if it were me i would go to a vet asap. sorry i don\'t know about the blackness, maybe its the pollution, maybe give \"him\" a soft scrub on the back to maybe wash it off, try using a tooth brush. are you sure thats not just the colour of his shell?

but definitly see a vet ASAP
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

sorry to confuse you and yes i meant he has a naturally black shell. But ive tried to take hime to a vet and they asked em hwere i got him and i said i rescued him from a river. and htey wont look at him.....its a mean *** vetrinary office but i dont blame them for not takign care of a wild turtles needs. i also found him wiht 24 leeches on him could that be why????
Banany
Level 2
Level 2

um... do snappers bask? cuz if they do i would assume that the uvb light would harden it up but sorry i don\'t anything about them. i\'ll look around but maybe try another clinic?
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

ok thank you
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

maybe you should keep him where you found him since you don\'t know how to care for them
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

i know how to care for him its just these soft spots are kind of weird. Hes doing fine but those spots are just like holes in his shell and they scabbed over but kinda soft
deesygirl

Here is the information from our first aid pages. Soft shell and holes in the shell are 2 different problems.
5) Shell diseases:

Your turtle\'s shell should be hard and solid, except for softshell turtles. You should not be able to push dents or find any soft patches. The most common cause of a soft shell is a lack of calcium or vitamin D3. They can get calcium through their food, and vitamin D3 through sunlight or UVB rays. Be patient, this could take a very long time to heal.

Fluker Farms Repta-Calcium Dietary Supplement
Use this premium powdered calcium supplement as a coating for the foods you feed to your lizards, snakes, turtles and frogs.
You can also use cuttle bones (found in the bird department) to suppliment calcium. Just remove the backing and break into chunks. The bone will float on the water and the turtle will nibble on it.

6) Shell sores or holes in shell:

Remove your turtle immediately from the water and keep it dry. To prevent your turtle from dehydrating, soak them for 30 minutes twice a day. Sponge your turtle off with Betadine or Nolvosan several times a day, especially after soaking them. Keep your turtle warm. Drying out the affected area aids in the healing process. Take your turtle to the vet if the problem persists.

You can prevent this condition with a proper diet and clean water.

rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

THANKS SO MUCH
Pumpkinpie12021
Level 1
Level 1

Well with my old turtle i had a similar problem. It is a disease of the shell from malnutrion and not the right amount of sun. There really isnt much that you can do for him, except take him outside everyday to get the vitamins that he needs. Also try not to let it be in water if it is unnessesary.

Unfurtunatly, there really isn\'t anything that you can do to help him. Maybe try some antibiotics from a different vet!
  • Information