eyes swollen shut - blind?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Mell
Level 1
Level 1

I have a male painted turtle. We found him about 12 years ago, His shell is 5\"long X 4 inches wide (about 2x\'s bigger than when we found him). until now he has never been sick ! About 6 weeks ago the light on the tank broke, I didn\'t think anything of it being the middle of summer ( big mistake). Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago. His eyes swelled up and shut and he stopped eating. After doing some research I got a new uva/uvb light, basking lamp and heater. I also got ZooMed eye drops from the pet store. All the sites I visited said not to wait too long - see a vet. So after 3 days I did, she gave me chloramphenicol opthalmic 1% ointment for the eyes and gave him a vitamin A shot. The ointment made things swell worse, so now I am just using the pet store drops. The swelling has come down a lot ! I can finally open the left eye part way, but what worrys me is all I can see is white. Could the eye have died/rotted ? Can a blind turtle really survive happily? This makes it really difficult for him to eat, I am hand feeding him now. He will only eat live mealworms, earthworms and crickets. He has stopped eating freeze dried food that were once loved and never did eat veggies ! HELP PLEASE!!!!!
rodeo144
Level 3
Level 3

Darn it sorry about yur turtle but i think hes blind. White eyes almost always mean blindness unless your turtle started out with white eyes. he should live happily.
Mell
Level 1
Level 1

It has been 11 days since I started the pet store drops - \"ZooMed repti-turtle eye drops\" GREAT STUFF! He has opened both eyes and appears to have sight in both. I have been washing out some sort of white slimy \"fungus\" with the drops. They are almost \"clear\" again! He is still being picky about what he eats. I think I have spoiled him by feeding live food, until he got sick it was just freeze dried stuff. Hopefully if he can find food on his own he\'ll take what is in the tank.
  • Information