turtle hibernation and a new little one!

Discussions about turtles.
stargazer
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5 turtles in my backyard. One for 8 years, 2 for 5 years, one last Spring, and a new tiny one. They just seem to find my home. The ones I have had a long time, I sing and often they come out and eat out of my hand. I believe they are all box turtles? I live in Oklahoma. I am wondering since I do not see them from November til May, do they hibernate? I really want the little one to make it thru the winter, the others always seem to do fine, and are back out around Mothers Day every year. Should I do anything different for the new little one? (who by the way is not from the other turtles, a friend brought it over) any info would be appreciated! Turtle Power! glad I found this website and board! thanks!
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Hiya! I\'m Kim if you didn\'t know and I have two Eastern Boxes (The Chad and Jazzy). If I were you I would take the little one inside this winter if its real cold. But if you do decide to take it in, do it right away. You\'ll probably lose it after it tries to hybernate. Yes, they do hybernate. And you should feed them as much as possible before they hybernate so they don\'t starve to death in their sleep. Feed them a lot as soon as the wake up, believe me, they WILL be HUNGRY! That is, if they even are boxes. What do they look like? Do they have taller, box like shells that can completely close up and have hinge sort of things where they close? Do they spend some time in the water but not live in it? Do they eat meat and fruits and veggies? Because if they do, they are Boxes. See ya!

-Kim
stargazer
Level 1
Level 1

thanks Kim, they are box turtles, I guess I will leave the little one alone for now, it is in the 90\'s here, but when it gets to be October and chilly, I will decide what tomdo with the little one. They LOVE raw hamburger meat,raw bacon, tomatoes, canalope and strawberries.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

Yup, that sounds smart. It\'s still in the 100\'s where I live. How big is the baby? I love baby turtles! I wish I had one. When I said to take him in right away, I didn\'t mean right right away, I meant when temp. starts to drop. See ya!

-Kim
stargazer
Level 1
Level 1

Trailrider wrote:
Yup, that sounds smart. It\'s still in the 100\'s where I live. How big is the baby? I love baby turtles! I wish I had one. When I said to take him in right away, I didn\'t mean right right away, I meant when temp. starts to drop. See ya!

-Kim
stargazer
Level 1
Level 1

stargazer wrote:
Trailrider wrote:

-Kim
stargazer
Level 1
Level 1

All Turtles seem to be doing great, we have had several cold fronts come thru though and that is confusing them, very unseasonal for Okla. Although my okra and tomatoes are loving it! (most of which will go to my turtles) they are the best! If they come out to me singing with my voice then they have got to be something special! blessings to all!
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I read on a site today that, no matter the size, you should keep Box turtles outside. ??? Just a thought...............

-Kim
  • Information