smell 3 days after cleaning

Discussions about turtles.
KELLY
Level 2
Level 2

I have 2 turtles in my tank with a fluval 2 external canister filter. the water is still crystal clear. they are in my bedroom but three days after i cleaned you walk up the stairs in the hallway and it smells like turtle. I feed them in the tank small amounts but i figured i could do that since i got a powerful filter. does anyone else have this problem? can you totally cut out any smell? i know turtles are dirty by nature.
Luna
Level 1
Level 1

Check a topic: smell! I have the same problemm.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How big is your tank and how large are your turtles? A Fluval 2 isn\'t such a powerful filter, especially for 2 turtles. How often do you clean it? The filter should be rated for 3x the size of the tank (a 20-gallon tank, for example, should have a filter rated for a 60-gallon one). Do you have gravel in the bottom? It will trap debris and cause a smell (it\'s also hard to clean). Feeding in a separate container does help keep the water cleaner. Turtles are messy creatures, but their tank shouldn\'t smell.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

mariza, you seem so serious with your posts! Don\'t get me wrong, I love your replies but you answer everyone\'s questions all the time. let us answer some of your questions.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for your concern, reptileman. I\'m really not such a serious person :) , but I do take the care of turtles very seriously. If I had questions that I thought could be answered, I\'d ask them. Many people that post appear to be newbies, however, so I think they\'ve pretty well got their plates full without trying to think about mine.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

oh, well ok. I was concerned because it looks like you don\'t get a break. 1149 posts is quite a bit haha! I was just worried.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

And that\'s only on this site!
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

I\'d hate to imagine what it looks like in other sites that you\'re on!:)
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

btw, what other sites ARE you on?
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

where\'d you come from? me and mariza were having a MATURE conversation :D
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

wow! mariza, we are really getting a lot of newbies! and slam us with questions! I\'ll help you out. I\'ll be your sidekick!
  • Information