smell

Discussions about turtles.
Luna
Level 1
Level 1

i have a big red eard turtle in a 50 l tank with filter (fluval 2). I change water and clean the tank every 3 days and i still have problem with the smell that comes out of it. I got some advice that i have to feed it out side the tank, but do you think that will help?? Please give me some information and advice what to do!
I have it beside the couch and i don\'t want to move it somewhere else in the house.

By the way: hello from europe

Luna
deesygirl

You might be cleaning to much. :) There is a balance between good bactiria and bad. What you can do is get some bio balls to throw in the tank. When you do a water change or a tank clean don\'t clean the balls or even rinse them off. They will be havens for the bactiria that your tank needs to balance itself out. Try doing water changes once a week and tank cleans on a monthly basis. Once your tank balances you can actually cut this down. I use a Vortex diatom filter, water change at 25% every 2 weeks and a tank clean once every 1 1/2 - 2 months. My water is crystal clean and no odor.
Luna
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have more turtles in it? Are they big? Do you feed them in the tank? Oh yes and thank you for your advice!
ShelldonandSquirt
Level 2
Level 2

one word, CARBON...Carbon filtration works wonders to get rid of the smell, well not completely, but almost. If you\'re only using a sponge of cotton filter system to get rid of the bulk it wont help with the smell, invest in some carbone filter pads, or the real thing which you can buy in bags.
Luna
Level 1
Level 1

can you please advise me where can i buy that or if it has some name or something so i can look for myself. And where do i put that carbon thing? Instead of cotton in the filter??
ShelldonandSquirt
Level 2
Level 2

you can buy carbon for the filter at any pet store, carbon controls the amonnia in the tank, thus reducing the smell, and it doesn\'t replace the cotton or spnge filter, it only supplements it.
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

I have my RES in a pond outside and they really seem to love it!

-Kim
Luna
Level 1
Level 1

Ok it\'s been 4 days since i quited feeding my RES in a tank but the water turned green now and it still smells! Today i\'m going to buy that carbon thing for the filter. I hope it will be better then!
Luna
Level 1
Level 1

I bought carbon for my filter and it really makes miracles! The water is clean and there is no smell. I have bought the carbon in small bags. Can i reuse that bag with carbon and how long can i use one bag????? Please give me an advise about that and thenn i will quit bothering you for a while :-) !!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It doesn\'t say on the package? Eventually the carbon will absorb all it can and will release the chemicals back into the water, so it does have to be replaced. You haven\'t said anything about the filter you\'re using, but I\'d guess the carbon should be replaced every 3 weeks to a month. (But you should check with the filter\'s mfgr.)
  • Information