Listing turtle!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

My turtle has been listing for a while and I\'m starting to get worried. He can submerge just fine but while on the surface, he lists.
gale8

Hi, I had a problem with my little turtle listing...You can check out what was happening on his webpage and see if it helps.
http://www.geocities.com/terling8/FROGSPLACE.HTML
Just scroll to the San Diego Zoo part. Good luck hope it is not serious. Gale8
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

what do you mean by listing?
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

It means when my turtle floats on top of the water, he tilts to one side.
deesygirl

Usually, but not always, a turtle that lists has a respitory infection. Does you turtle show any signs of being ill? Nasal discharge, sneezing, wheezing, loss of appitite. If so get him to the vet asap. Other wise you might want to raise the tank and basking temps by a few degrees and see if it helps.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

No signs at all. He\'s very hardy, very active. And eats very well.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

what causes respitory infections?
deesygirl

The most common reason that turtles get respitory infections is when the water is to cold. I know that sounds strange when they hibernate but that is the cause. :) By raising the tank and basking temps it will strengthen the immune system so your turtle can fight off any infection that might be trying to take hold.
I have also heard that turtles can get water in the lungs which can cause infections and listing as well. Honestly I have no idea how they could get water in the lungs as they are aquatic but I immagine they could inhale some like we could. The one thing about that is they can suffer from a reduced intake of air.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

the water maintains a 70 degree range. upper 70,s during the day, lower 70\'s at night. is that too cold?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If your turtle has the beginning of an RI, yes, that\'s too cool. The water should be a constant temp--about 78F for a healthy hatchling, a few degrees cooler for an older turtle. For a turtle with an RI, raising the water temp to the low 80\'s (and the basking area temp a few degrees higher than normal as well) helps the immune system more efficient at fighting infection.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

ok. thanks guys uh----oops thanks girls:eyes
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

MY RES GOT A R.I BY GETTING DRAFTS FROM THE DOORS
JUST KEEP HIM AWAY FROM WINDOWS AND DOORS ESPECIALY NOW THAT IT IS GETTIN COOLER
  • Information