Worms in turtle feces

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
gale8

I have a 3 month old slider turtle which was saved from a snake in a local river and is being kept in rehab until he is large enough to survive back in the river. Anyway, today when I was cleaning his inside tank , prior to taking him in from his outside habitat, I noticed something red in the feces, upon removing it and closer observation, I saw that it was a tiny worm. I took the tank outside and found many more in it. They are red and are shaped like a hook worm? Do reptiles have them? What is the next step here...There is not a herpatologist anywhere near here, and local vets say they know nothing about turtles. I would appreciate any advice you can give me..the worms seem to be unaffected by chlorine bleach. Please someone help me with this.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

i wish i could. you could try a vet farther away then you could go and just ask for suggetiones.
gale8

Thank\'s Tim, I did find a lab that checked a couple of them for me..You won\'t believe this...it is mosquito larva that is just very robust!! I think it must have been brought inside on his shell or feet as I did find many (not as large),in his outside pond. I panicked and never even considered that it might not have come from the feces..the connection must have been just coincidence. I would never have believed how good the word mosquito could sound! I am glad that this forum is available to me at such times....very grateful. Thank you. Gale8
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

thats great! but now keeping your windows closed wont keep the mosquitos out. j/k:)
  • Information