UVBulb/Basking Lamp

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Eeyore72252
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought a 125 gallon tank for my RES. They are about 19 months old now and I am getting ready to bring them inside for the fall/winter. My question is: If I use the tank strip reflector lights (2 of them, one on each side of the tank) for the UVB bulbs, will they be to close for the turtles - will it get to hot for them? Should I just continue to shine the light on them from a lamp clamped above the tank shining down on them? Thanks
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

the uvb bulbs arent very hot. you could touch them and not say ouch. i just lay mine right on the cover above the basking area next to the basking light. the basking light, however is clamped above.
Eeyore72252
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the info - it helps alot
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Regular UVB lights are flourescent and don\'t really give off heat. For the turtle to benefit, they shouldn\'t be more than 10-12 inches from the turtle, and 6-8 inches is best. You\'ll still need to use a heat lamp to warm the basking area.
Last edited by mariza on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PalmTree
Level 1
Level 1

So the \"aquarium\" light is not good enough for basking? I have my RES in just a small tank and up until now have been just using a regular light. I found the aquarium cover and put that over top of the container. He/she seems healthy. Im afraid a heat lamp will be too hot until i get him/her a bigger home.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

A regular aquarium light doesn\'t give off the UVB rays turtles need, so no, it\'s not the right light. (This is a flourescent light, right?) Assuming the fixture is for a tube, get something like a Reptisun 5.0 for your turtle\'s UVB needs (very important for the shell--without the UVB rays, your turtle can\'t metabolize Vit. D3, which is needed for calcium absorption. The basking area should be 85-90F, and the water temp about 7-10 degrees cooler. UVB lights like the Reptisun don\'t give off heat, so you still need a heat lamp (and a regular light bulb will work for this purpose). Just check with a thermometer to make sure the temp is OK.
Last edited by mariza on Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eeyore72252
Level 1
Level 1

Okay-the more I read, the more confused I get. I have an Iguana Light 5.0 uvb over the basking area and an Eclipse Natural Daylight over the other section. I still need a heat lamp? and if so, what is best to use? where and how close should it be placed? etc....
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

i dont know if the eclipse is a heat of flourescent. you should get a socket that you can place above the basking spot, and move it closer and farther to get the temp 7-10 degreese f. above the water temp.
  • Information