Strange Behavior

Discussions about turtles.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,
I have 2 RES turtles in a 20 gallon tank with rocks so that they could climb out of the water. I have not been able to buy them a basking lamp yet, but I have the tank in front of the window, so that they could sit in the sunlight if they feel like it.

My question is, whenever my smaller turtle climbs up on the rock, he/she, (I don\'t know which yet), always leans on his/her front feet and puts up his/her little hind feet. It looks like he/she is doing little turtle push-ups sometimes.

Does this mean that maybe the rock is too hot, or is this just one of my turtle\'s many quirks?
l8or g8or

Sometimes Joe sits under the lamp with all 4 legs stretched out pointing up to the heat. Other times she has all of them pulled in tight, and just her head sticking out. I think it just depends on what they want warmed up at the time. One time she was basking with EVERYTHING pulled in..... So I guess she just wanted her shell warm that time.
ctruett
Level 1
Level 1

its fine, just basking

either he/she is just streaching, the rock is to hot, of it is doing the matting dance.
  • Information