filter/heater

Discussions about turtles.
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

I have a 20 gallon tank and a baby RES thats about 2 inches long. Eventually I want to be able to fill my tank almost to the top because he is getting really good at swimming and I can tell he\'d like deeper water to swim in. But changing that much water every 2 weeks will be a pain, so I want to get a filter. Which kind should I get and how expensive are they. Also, which kind of heater should I get/ how expensive??
any suggestions??
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

well you should be doing a 50% water change every 2 weeks even with a filter. and you might want a bigger tank because the \"law\" is 10 gallons of water for every inch of shell, but if your crushed for money you can keep that one. if you are going to fill your tank within 2-3 inches of the top i might reccomend a power (hob) filter. they might be loud due to the water splashing down but as ive heard people get used to them. those are a lot cheeper if you can ignore the sound (25 bucks off ebay for one fitting your tank size) if you are going to go with this kind i might reccomend the aquaclear line because ive heard good things about it. if you plan on upgrading your tank id go with a canister filter. theyre more expensive but really for larger tanks. i have a 3/4 full 55g with 2 larger turtles in it. i run a rena filstar xp3 canister and i like it. a lot better than my old under the gravel kind. it, however got me 115 bucks off ebay w/shipping.its for tanks up to 175 gallons whitch a maximum turtle tank would be 60-80gallons. your turtles would love you if you bought this for them. id only do that if youre getting a bigger tank later. the rena xp1\'s and xp2\'s might better fit your needs. ive a lot of turtle owners reccomend a fluval but a lot of fish keepers dont. they say theres too much bypass. i reccomend this site for equipment choosing (you cant buy here though)www.aquahobby.com
just enter and click on the products link to read about peoples experiances with different kinds of filters. that site is also better for asking a question like this but you need a username and password for that message board (it has more people on it) if talking about your tank on that site make the gallons more as they wont know you have turtles and dont mention turtles. they think you have fish and its better to keep it that way:) sorry i cant help w/ the heater i reccomend submersable but i think this post is long enough. ask aquahobby about it.
  • Information