I need help

Discussions about turtles.
starrd722

The last time I posted a message in this forum I was looking to get a turtle, I decided not to get one after researching what would be involved. When I checked my mail this evening I found what I think is a red eared slider in a small box with some pellets and a damp cloth. It was sent to me by my brother in tulsa oklahoma. It has been a while since I did the research for a turtle and I have forgotten a lot of what I found. Unfortunately I found it too late in the evening to go to a pet store to buy all of the necessary products. So I went to Wal-mart where I was able to buy a filter, but they didn\'t have anything as far as heaters, heat lamps or basking rocks. The turtle looks te be about one-two inches long. I had a twenty gallon tank that I was able to put him in but I\'m not sure how much water to put in because there is nowhere for him to get out if I put too much in there. I found a small rock in the yard that I washed and put in with him but there is only about two inches of water in the tank right now. If anybody can give me any information to help until I can get to a pet store in the morning I would really appreciate it. Also my brother sent a bag of pellets but I\'m not sure if they are turtle pellets or just regular fish food.
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

Well, your turtle MUST have a place to bask. Since you don\'t have a rock rock or basking lamp, I would suggest maybe putting, if you have one, a shallow, small tuperware container in the tank and then place the tank in a well lighted area. Someone gave me a good piece of advice regarding a heater: you can use a regular heating pad and just put it underneath the bottem of the tank if you are worried that the water is too cold. Try, if you can, to do these things and make sure to get to the pet store ASAP to get the neccessary lighting. As far as food is concerned, you should be fine with the pellets, give him 2 pellets once per day. Just when you go to the pet store show someone the food to make sure it is the right kind. Ok well that\'s my advice, hope this helps!
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

You should ask your brother all of this stuff. You would think he would know.

-Kim
  • Information