Travelling with Turtle in AirCargo

Discussions about turtles.
SofiaL

My 1 yr. old yellow-bellied slider will be travelling in the animal compartment of an airplane (6 hours from check-in to pick-up). Any suggestions regarding moisture, temperature, stress avoidance, etc.?

Sofia
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I would avoid putting a turtle in cargo if I could avoid it. (I\'ve heard of airlines forgetting to turn on the heat and turtles freezing to death--make sure your airline doesn\'t forget this.) For info on traveling with turtles, http://www.turtlecare.net/fly.htm
SofiaL

Thanks for your response. I went to the link you suggested and will follow the advice given. I\'ve spoken to the airline and unfortunately they do not allow the turtle with passengers. I\'ll ask again at the airport, and if unsuccessful will remind them of the temperature issue.

Question: Should I keep him in water or just wet towels?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I wouldn\'t leave him in water. Make sure the cargo area is pressurized and that it\'s heated. If anything happens, the airlines most likely will not be responsible. Good luck. (I\'d still try to find a way to get him on with me.)
SofiaL

Safe and Sound.

Just to give you an update:

Fortunately, the airline let us bring our turtle in the passenger cabin with us. We carried him in a plastic travel container with only a dry hand towel to keep him warm and cozy during the flight. He buried himself in the towel and seemed content. Before and after the flight we took out the towel and put him in water.
I kept him on the ground between my feet during the three hour flight. Since the temperature gets cold under the seats I wrapped the container in a blanket.

We rewarded our turtle for his bravery with a lovely new aquarium and all the accoutrements. Thanks for all your advice.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

That\'s great to hear he was allowed on with you and arrived safe and sound. (What airline allowed you to bring him on with you?)
  • Information