turtle not eating

Discussions about turtles.

We took our tutle on a little trip with us to Kentucky. We put him a nice size box with water on the way and while we where there he was in the same box with the basking area and all. And he very well while we where there. But then after we got home he hasn\'t eat at all. I do think he is eating his stools because the filter dosn\'t look to have any in it. But he won\'t his turltle food he was eating before. What could be wrong? We have been back a god 2 months now and nothing. Please help.
ehb90
Level 2
Level 2

Hi there. I am a new turtle owner but I have a bit of input that may or may not help you out. Well, my friend, a fellow RES owner, said her turtle wasn\'t eating and was very lethargic. She was then informed that she needed to purchase an aquarium heater because the turtle thought that since the water was so cold, that he should go into hibernating mode. So, I have two questions for you:
1) does your turtle have less energy than usual?
2) do you have a heater, if not, what is your water temperature?

hope maybe this will help!

ty ehb90. I do have a heater in the tank. And he is just as active as before. He is a musk turlte and dosn\'t bask all that much but I have read that they don\'t. I keep and eye on his swimming to make sure he is swimming right and not side ways. So I don\'t think he is sick. I don\'t know. Maybe he just dosn\'t like his food any more.But thanks
amnewton

I have a red eared slider turtle who has not eaten in a few weeks. Otherwise he seems healthy. I have tried different types of food to no avail. Do the turtles go thru periods like that? I live in Louisiana and have been placing the turtle in its bowl outside to sun under a table umbrella. He seems to enjoy that and is active. Thanks, Anne
  • Information