Red ear slider hybernating?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Sofia

Hi there,
I live in Thailand, and my little red ear slider has been in a state of hybernation since the day we moved into our new house! She hasn\'t eaten anythign for the past three weeks, and whenever she pokes her head out of the water, her eyes are closed. Also yesterday, she was very active in the water -after putting clean water- but she kept her eyes closed. The vets here don\'t know much about turtles, so I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions!

Thanks a lot!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If his behavior does change fairly quickly, he really needs to be seen by a herp vet. There\'s one listed in Bangkok at http://www.arav.org/Members/Thailand.htm
Last edited by mariza on Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sofia

The link you gave me was great, I think she\'s got puffy eyes, they certainly don\'t look as bad as the other pics on the website! Phew!

I\'d only been feeding her turtle pellets -I know that\'s not very good, but with the move and all there was little time to take care ;o( I lost my last turtle to a respiratory infection, but this time I\'m making sure she\'s not going that way. I\'ve had her for about one and a half month. We\'re having quite a strange weather here at teh moment with rain and sunshine which makes many people sick, and I guess the turtle gets affected, too.

Also, the water in our new house is from the well, but it\'s filtered and the content in Ph is good for the fish we have! (We breed Discus!) so it shouldn\'t be that, should it! I will make sure, that she gets some warmth, though, cause that could be the problem too.

Thanks again for the help! If anything else comes to mind, please let me know! I don\'t have much experience with turtles, but I do want to learn!

Warm regards
  • Information