diseased turtle?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Redfishy

I have a red eared slider named Corky for over a year now. I recently took in another red eared slider that was found in a friend\'s garage (which isn\'t uncommon) named Junior. Ever since I\'ve had Junior my dad has been sick with his stomach. Never related the two until today when he finally decided to go to the doc to find out what was wrong with him. After he told the doc what was wrong the first thing he asked my dad was if we had pet turtles.
We will find out later this week if my turtles are the cause of my dad\'s illness. IF they are is there anyway to make them not make him sick anymore? They were both cought out in the wild and was thinking of turning them loose if they are the problem but if they have a disease that can\'t be cured will they spread it to the other turtles living in my yard wild?

Any help appreciated!
deesygirl

Most likely your dad caught salmonella.

Turtles commonly carry this disease and there is only one sure way of preventing it. WASH!!! When ever you handle your turtles or work around their tank you must wash your hands. Also do not let the turtles wander around your home.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

wash w/ SOAP and HOT water for 2 minutes
Redfishy

I thought the same thing but I\'m the only one who messes with either of the two. They are both in my room in a closed tank and my dad might come in my room 1 day a week for about 5-10 mins MAX. I pick them up and check them but always wash up good after and their old water always goes down my toilet, which my dad never uses or even goes near.

He\'s only home on the weekends due to his job so I know he\'s not playing with them while I\'m gone during the day or anything. When I am gone my mom is the one that feeds them not him.

Are there any other diseases that they could have given him air borne?

Also if a turtle does have Salmonella how do you cure him?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I don\'t think your turtles could give your father anything through the air. Most reptiles are carriers of salmonella, and testing one for the bacteria isn\'t reliable. The bacteria is shed from the intestines in times of illness/stress. If you keep your turtles healthy and wash as was noted above, you shouldn\'t have any problems, however. Could your father have been bitten by something and not realized it?
  • Information