long move

Discussions about turtles.
machen423
Level 2
Level 2

I have two red eared sliders a girl (oats) and a boy (bud) and i am moving from chicago to arizona in like a week this means a 2 and 1/2 day drive with the turtles.....does anyone know how i can go about this so that i don\'t stress out my turtles that much.....

someone told me i shouldn\'t feed them along the way and i should stop feeding them two days before the trip...does this sound right? ....has anyone made a similiar trip?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machen423
Level 2
Level 2

should i put both of them in the same container for the trip or should they be in seperate containersor is it okay to put them both in the same plastic container?
also i have this little bucket we use to help us clean out the tank and i was thinking that at night in the hotel i would leave them in there with some water in it with the screen lid on top is that okay?
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

I would put them in different containers. Also, if you place them in something darkly colored it can help reduce stress. I\'ve traveled 3 days with 5 turtles before, they mostly slept in the dark containers. I just secured them in the same manner that good breeders do when they ship them. I placed them on wet paper towels, in a tupperware container (I chose not to place the lid on the container), inside a card board box. The box was shut, with air holes. I also secured the container in the box by placing tissue around it\'s sides. My turtles were fine. When I stopped for the night, I took them out of their holders and allowed them to swim and bask in small tanks (those little critter keepers, they\'re like 5 gallons).
machen423
Level 2
Level 2

thanks so much for the details....it\'s good to know that someone else has made a similiar trip and was fine.
  • Information