squshy bottom

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
cloversmom
Level 2
Level 2

my turtle basks alot but for some reason today when i picked him up thr bottom part of his shell was squishy. does that mean he has shell rot?????????????
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

When your turtle basks, is he able to get totally out of the water so that his underside can dry off? What does the underside look like? Is the carapace (top shell) soft as well?
cloversmom
Level 2
Level 2

well there is a grey streak on his bottom shell and if push his shell (softly) it feels soft. his basking area is always dry kus of the heat lamp and when i picked him up he was all dry.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You didn\'t say if his top shell was soft or not...Do you have proper lighting for him to bask under (UVB light AND heat lamp). Is he getting enough calcium in his diet? Are you feeding him a lot of animal matter?
cloversmom
Level 2
Level 2

his top shell is kinda soft. i have a uvb light and a heat lamp snd i started feeding him cuttlebone and i have calcium i sprinkle on his food
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Make sure the calcium powder contains no phosphorus. Rather than just sprinkle it on the pellets, it would be better to moisten them and either roll the moistened pellets in the powder and handfeed them to your turtle or cover the moistened pellets with the powder and let them dry before giving them to your turtle. More of the calcium would stick to the pellets (and be absorbed) and he would get more of it this way.
cloversmom
Level 2
Level 2

ya thats what i do i mosten them with water and sprinkle the calcium over them
  • Information