My turtles need help!

Discussions about turtles.
england921

I bought two small baby red sliders off a street corner, unaware of the necessary care they need. I have since done my research and have an adequate habitat for the turtles. I have now had them for three months and I have (probably) a stupid question. Yes, I have read the care sheets. Here is my problem. Yesterday, I cleaned the turtle tank. I dumped all the water, cleaned the rocks and every component in the aquarium (10 gallon)including the filter. Then I put them back in and within a 24 hour period I couldn\'t even see through the water. I have a duetto filter suitable for a 10 gallon tank. I bought a new filter insert, thinking that was maybe the problem. It didn\'t seem to help. This morning I had to clean the entire tank again. Should I assume that the filter is faulty and upgrade to a bigger filter? Also, in the care sheets it says that turtles are carnivores until they are older. Exactly what age should they be when they require more plants? Any help would be appreciated.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Ok, the tank first. IF it was a cloudy whitish looking water...that is normal. It often happens with a water change and some recommend not doing a full water change because then it lacks the good bacteria that has built up. That is why I have a filter that has a biofilter, so it keeps the bacteria when I change everything else. I usually get water clarifier and add it. It may clear up in 30 min after you use it, but it says it can take 2-4 hours. A 10 gal tank is NOT big enough for 2 sliders. You may want to get a rubbermaid container for them until you can find a good used price for a much larger tank. I wouldnt even think about getting anything less than a 50 if you have 2. They can grow pretty fast and then you will find yourself buying a new tank often. Next...the food issue. Yes, they are more carnivorous as babies, however it is not good to feed them much meat as too much protein can deform the shell. So, I highly recommend reptomin baby pellets and you can float some romaine lettuce for grazing. Then maybe once a week or less give some protein like earthworms, guppies, crickets, etc. They may be picky at first, but if they are hungry they will eat. Hope this helps
england921

I noticed on this allturtles.com web site there is a section that discusses outdoor water turtle set up but it does not specify type or age of turtle. Can I make an environment outside for my sliders or will they die?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Your tank is way too small. And the filter you have for it (for a 10-gallon tank) is inadequate for the tank because you\'re dealing with turtles, not fish. When you upgrade, go as big as you can to avoid having to up grade often (minimally, allow 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell length, add the shell lengths together for two turtles). You need a filter rated for at least 3X the size of the tank/container (I have a 50-gallon and the filter I use is rated for a 175-gallon tank). If you get one with room for a lot of bio media, it will allow beneficial bacteria to build up, which will keep the water quality up.

For feeding suggestions, try here http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/aquaticdiet.htm RES grow more omnivorous as they age. Hatchlings are often not that interested in plant matter, but it never hurts to try. They should grow more receptive to it at around a year, but introducing them to it early is better. Stay away from iceberg lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, and spinach. Aquatic plants like anachris and duckweed (rich in calcium) are also good and even young turtles often like them. Calcium is important for their growing shells, so it would be good to add a non-phorphorus powdered calcium supplement to moistened pellets (either let the powder dry or roll them in the powder and hand feed them to your turtles). You could also keep some small pieces of cuttlebone (in the bird section) with the back taken off floating in their tanks for them to nibble on.

If the weather is warm enough, having an outdoor set-up that\'s escape-proof and predator-proof to put your turtles in is fine (not a glass tank). The unfilter sunlight is really good for their shells. Part of it, however, should be shaded so your turtles can get out of the sun if they get too warm. I have a kiddy pool for my turtle and he gets to go out to swim and bask on warm, sunny days. I don\'t leave him alone, however, just to be safe.
  • Information