turtles and algea eaters

Discussions about turtles.
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

I have a lot of algea in my tank and I was thinking about getting an algea eater for the tank. Do you think he will be picked on or eaten by the turtles?
Any other suggestions for getting rid of algea would be appreciated :)
Thanks
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

snails?

get some large snails, if they arent smaller than the turtle they wont get eaten but their is a small chance it might get killed in a year or so.
scuttle
Level 1
Level 1

i own turtles and fish. i know that there are certain tablets sold for aqauriums that will reduce the amount of algae. there are also liquid solutions that you can add to new water (when you clean the tank out) that will prevent any algae growth. i have never tried it with my turtles but i\'m sure you could certainly ask someone at the pet shop. good luck and best wishes to you and your turtles!
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the ideas, but I was wondering, I own fishes too in a seperate tank, it\'s my little jungle of fishes ( I have too many:)) and I have three algea eaters and dont\' have much algea growing at all, do you have algea growing in your turtle tank?(this question is for Scuttle if you see this post again...)or anyone else who can answer this question!
I havelive plants in my tank, does that make algea grow?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

It is NOT recommended to use these products with your turtle. You can get snails, plecos and other algae eating aquarium mates, however do not be surprised no matter how big they are that your turtle eventually might eat them. I usually have to change my tank once a week due to algae making it look ugly. It isn\'t bad to have as long as it isnt the long hairy kind. You may even find your turtle getting it on its shell and that is ok too, as in the wild it occurs and helps with camouflage. I just wipe mine off occasionally.
[quote]scuttle wrote:
i own turtles and fish. i know that there are certain tablets sold for aqauriums that will reduce the amount of algae. there are also liquid solutions that you can add to new water (when you clean the tank out) that will prevent any algae growth.
  • Information