Grey Shell on RES

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
lilgirl03

I have had my red ear slider for about a year and a half now. For about a year his shell has gotten progressivley worse and worse. I looks semi-ok when he\'s in the water, but when he\'s basking it looks really bad. About 90% of his shell is grey and looks sanded down or something. It\'s really odd. I was wondering if maybe this is due to some kind of deficiency and if there is anything at all I can do to help him. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
DJ_Mo
Level 1
Level 1

Thats not good at all. First hold the RES, and feel the bottom of his/her shell. If it feels soft..then you have a problem. And need a fix fast.

Make sure you turtle gets a lot of calcium in its diet, this is one of the primary things to keep a turtle\'s shell healthy. I would suggest you purchase some \"ReptoCal\" and sprinkle it on your turtle\'s food and then feed the turtle. Also use the commerical turtle food available in the market (like ReptoMin) that has plenty of calcium and Vitamin D.

Also you might consider getting a UVB/UVA reptile bulb for your setup..this way the turtle will get enough Vitamin D to maintain its shell.

Hope this helps..
furtherup
Level 1
Level 1

lilgirl,
do you keep your tank water clean? lots of shell problems result when tank conditions are not right. These include not changing dirty tank water, insufficient sunlight, nutrients, lack of a dry basking area or inappropriate temperature. Since it has affected 90% of your turtle\'s shell, I think you had better bring it to a vet.
  • Information