why???

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

my two 5 inch res wont eat anything besides pellets and freeze dried earth worms. i am trying different kinds of veggies(romaine lettuce, carrots, cantalope, grapes... etc.
the only thin they did eat that wasnt really high in protine is some aquatic plant(i dont know what kind it is) that i got from a friends tank when i got snails from her. it is long, and had about cm long leaves coming out of everywhere, they gobbled it right up. how can i help them eat less protine rich foods???

thanks in advance
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

Turtle will become \"addicted\" to foods and refuse other things. You really have to be firm, a \"tough love\" type thing. Refuse to feed them some of the unhealthy food until they eat the better foods also. I had this same problem, and that is exactly what everyone told me to do. My european pond turtle was addicted to fish and I had to completely stop feeding him fish until he ate other things. You won\'t do damage by withholding the food, he\'ll eat the others after a short while. Try to give hi a wide variety of things!
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

ok thanks, diddnt want to starve \'em
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

As babies they tend to be more carnivorous than vegetarian. Mine didnt eat much veggies either, so mostly I fed it reptomin baby. This is fine. Finally now that it is almost a year it is eating more veggies. It wouldnt even touch the cuttlebone at first either and I had to buy powder calcium to coat the pellets. Just continue to try different veggies and fruits, staying away from broccoli, spinach, cabbage and bananas. Some petstores will carry anachris for fishtanks. My turtle loves to much it and it is nice in the tank. I just let it float. Keep trying a variety. Just as our tastes change so do theirs. I would only give a protein like crickets, earthworms, fish etc. only maybe a couple times a month or less. That is what I have done and mine seems to be doing well. Good luck!
Last edited by shelngav on Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information