HELP! I think my turtle is dying

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Ker1026

Hi,
I'm a newcomer to the site as well as a turtle owner. Someone gave me a red eared slider in June and I put him in my outdoor pond. He loved it. He would sleep in the middle of the pond on rocks at night and then swim all day. He ate food from our hands and was happy.

But, with the approaching winter we didn't know what to do with him. We were informed that we should bring him inside for the winter which is what we did. We brought him inside about a month ago and he hasn't been the same since. I put him in a large tub thinking it would be better for him than a tank after being out in the pond for 3 months. He hasn't been eating and now his eyes have a layer of gunk over them. He rarely opens them and barely moves anymore. Lately he doesn't even go in the water. He's been sitting on the rocks in the middle of the tub for weeks.

Do you have any suggestions? Is he dying? Hybernating? Thanks.
Kerri
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

i think that the water tempature is dropping in the tun... it might be hibernation, but when you said layer of guink around eyes... I would take him/her to a vet to see if it needs any vitamin supplements
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

You might want to check the water temperature, and i think there is some Zoo Med turtle eye clear.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

vet time first, and he does need to be put into an aquarium with a heater. otherwise he will hybernate. the layer of "gunk" concerns me and that's why i say take him to the vet first. but he needs a clean, warm enviroment indoors.

you need to make sher he has a worm, cooler, and hidden place for him. take him to a dr. right away if you want him to live. keep the water clean.

Do you have the proper lights and heater,if not then you better get them fast.Give him extra protien and if I were you I would have left him outside for the winter to hibernate after all that was his home.It might also be stress from moving into a smaller area and get a filter and a large tank for the winter take him to the vet to.
jbird507
Level 3
Level 3

what do you mean you think your turtle is dying?!
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

bring it indoors in the winter if you\'d like. Anymore information from there on can be found on my website.
  • Information