Turtles eating tank gravel...

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

Anyone else have the problem with their turtles trying to eat the gravel in the tank? I had replaced the gravel with stones for about a year and a bit but the turtles are big enought that they can push them around. I was getting concerned for the tank as the could bang a rock on the wall. They broke heater coils a couple times by pushing rocks on the coil. The last tank cleaning I put the gravel back in and once again they are chewing on it. Rocks are nice because they kept the tank cleaner longer, but a risk to the tank for larger turtles.

Anyone else seen this? Any suggestions?

BTW cool site!
AllTurtles
Administrator
Administrator

One of my turtles likes to chew on rocks too. The other 2 have no interest. Buddy (the gravel pit inspector!) does a lot of digging. The others sometimes likes to check out what he finds so fascinating. But that only lasts for about a minute. I suspect that Buddy has ingested a few rocks before but have passed them. We haven't had any complications yet. (Keep the fingers crossed) We've had these rocks since they were real little. At the time the rocks were too big to fit in their mouth. I foresee that we have to change the rocks in the future.
joe allen
Level 2
Level 2

Iv\'e done alot of research on this topic and through it and my own experience with 5 turtles i can tell u it\'s much better to use no rocks at all the bottom of the tank is much better for the water and the turtles health. it also alows the filter to do a better job.
Bradleychris
Level 3
Level 3

If you still have a little problem with \"crud\" on the bottom of the tank, keep some guppies in the tank at all times they will eat it up. The turtles will eat them but just keep replacing
Last edited by Bradleychris on Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information