sick red eared slider

Discussions about turtles.
maximus

please help? my red eared slider max has a low protein fluid filling up inside of her body. i get max drained every day at the vet. the vet does not know exactly where the fluid is comming from, it might be the liver because max has not been able to process food in 12 days, or the lungs because max had phemonia and a vitamin A defitiency. note i got max in china town max was the runt of the bunch but has so much personality and intelligence, max is only about 4 months old. thank you, jeff
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Are you taking Max to a herp vet that deals with reptiles? Has your vet given any antibiotic shots? I am concerned if the vet is only draining and nothing more. Where is the fluid being drained from? Has the vet told you anymore like if they feel it will get better or how long til it does? If your turtle has a respiratory infection it needs antibiotic shots and the tank water should be changed every other day to rid the infection. Warm the water a bit more close to 85, keeping the basking area warmer than the water by 7-10 degrees. My turtle had a resp infection and it went in for a series of 5 shots every other day.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I\'m sorry to heat about Max. The build-up of fluid in the body is different than an RI. I\'ve read that it\'s usually associated with the kidneys (renal failure), but your turtle sounds so young to have such a problem. Turtles bought from markets at places like Chinatown, are often kept in horrible conditions, and who knows what conditions they\'re hatched and shipped under.

I\'m not sure what kind of help you\'re looking for, but if Max is being seen by a competent herp vet, he should be getting appropriate care. What kind of foods are you giving him? What recommendations has his vet given you? Please keep us posted on his condition.
  • Information