weird looking shell

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

can u tell me what can happen when u have to much amonia in the water? can it cause some shell problem ? cause my water seem fine and does\'t smell foul but the shell of my res look weird at one place,and i was wondering if ican be something else then water trap under the sedding scute cause she shed scute before and it wasn\'t looking like that...
if anyone can help me,i don\'t want to confuse a health problem with somethink normal???thx
Pete's Mom
Level 2
Level 2

How does your turtle\'s shell look wierd? Is it black or something? Is it soft? Please give me more details so I could help you out.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

the shell getting darker but i think is cause she a adult now(not sure..)but the spot i,m concern about is at the end of the shell clause to the tail and is kind a white/grey and it\'s visible out of water.her shell is not soft but i have a beginning of pyramiding(i think)cause of improper lightning(just fix it!)and i don\'t know but i feel like the shell does\'t look healty???
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Can you post a picture? Try to identify the problem at http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i been on austin page and it\'s look like shell rot but it\'s not squishy when i touch it,it feel the same then the rest of the shell(soft feeling when u touch not soft shell!)(sorry my english not to good,don\'t know the right word)and after i rubbing it with my finger it was looking more like when she\'s shedding scute...could it be just air trap under and i kind of remove it when i was gently rubbing it??
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

It could be air trapped under the scute if it is loose. IF it isnt soft then it probably isnt fungus or shell rot. Be sure there is a good basking area and the turtle is using it. 7-10 degrees warmer than the water and a good calcium supplement like a cuttlebone. If your turtles shell is pyramiding then you are giving too much protein and need to just feed veggies and pellets for a while. Too much protein causes the shell to grow too fast and isnt good and I believe it can be painful. I hope you have read the caresheets and setup to be sure you have the proper lighting. That is one of the most important things for turtles. Keep an eye on it and let us know if it seems to be worse.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

yeah i just change my lightning for uvb but the pyramiding it\'s from the beginning when i had her...i overfeed her a little bite but in another way she goes from a pot stove without basking area and no feeding for a month(my friend!!!)to a 33 gallon fish tank with 25 g of water and a nice basking area and a bit too much pellets...temp is ok but goes over 86F last week.but her scute is not loose???
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

by the way she\'s around one year old and about 4 1/2 inch...is it too big?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I dont think so, but more of a concern would be is she too fat? Be sure she isnt bulging and cant pull her arms and legs in. I wouldn\'t worry, just keep an eye on that shell and keep checking to be sure it stays hard. If there was damage done from before, it takes time for it to be corrected. The pyramiding wont go away though. Just keep up the good work now that you have changed the conditions for your turtle. Good luck and keep up posted if there is any change.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If your turtle is a year, she should be fed pellets every other day. Only feed an amount that would fit into her head (don\'t include the neck). You can give her some vegetables/aquatic plants every day, though. http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/turtlefood.html has some good suggestions about what to feed (and not feed).
Last edited by mariza on Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

the temp was that high cause it was too hot outside..but someone told me to put some ice in the tank to lower down...and it doest look kind of metallic in the water...more it goes and more it look like a scute shedding but it seem like she scratch it on decoration in the tank..otherwise she look fine eat as usual,bask a little bit less but i think is cause the temp is too high(cause of the weather)in her basking area...thx u all 4 ur advice...i keep u post if there any change!! thx a lot :)
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

the temp was that high cause it was too hot outside..but someone told me to put some ice in the tank to lower down...and it look kind of metallic in the water...more it goes and more it look like a scute shedding but it seem like she scratch it on decoration in the tank..otherwise she look fine eat as usual,bask a little bit less but i think is cause the temp is too high(cause of the weather)in her basking area...thx u all 4 ur advice...i keep u post if there any change!! thx a lot :)
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

and mariza u ask me if i can put a picture of it ...i would like to put i don\'t know how...and i feed her every other day some pellet the amount u said but she don\'t like much the veggies...and the aquatic plants are hard to find around here cause all the pet shop around don\'t carry turtles and turtles stuff.can i buy those kind of plants at a florist or nursery?and is it a lot of protein in the snails cause since she taste one, every day i don\'t feed her she ate a snail instead...
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Maybe someone else can help you if you want to post a pic (I don\'t have any experience with that, but a lot of people use www.photobucket.com ).

I wouldn\'t buy from a florist because of the chance that the plants would have pesticides on them. If you have any nursery/gardening store that sells plants for aquatic gardens you might try them--often times the aquatic plants sold there will be put into ponds with koi, so they won\'t have any chemicals on them (if the place also sells koi/fish you know the place is OK). Just check to make sure. The plants sold in pet shops for aquariums would be OK (but they often are more expensive).

Snails have animal protein (don\'t know the content, and their shells contain calcium. They can, however, also harbor flukes (a parasite), which are bad for turtles. Many people first keep snails in clean water laced with acriflavine or similar substance for a few weeks so the parasites are killed. Some people also wait for the snails to breed, and only feed their turtles the younger ones to avoid the possibility of giving their turtles parsites.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

thx 4 all ur good info...i will check out the nursery(they a bunch of them around)
good thing u told me 4 the snails,i didn\'t
have a clue about the parasite...do u know what it can do to the turtle cause she already ate some..u said some people use the babies instead,the parasite doesn\'t transmit from the adult to the babies?? cause i would like to keep using snails they really do a great job with the left over...and beside the pellets that\'s the only thing my turtle love to eat...4 the veggies i have to kind of starve her,for her to eat them... but thx again i appreciate a lot!!!
  • Information