dying baby tortoises!!!!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Vinnie

First off, I live in the PRC and good pet-care in virtually immpossible to find. That said, I\'ve got a problem. I have purchased six soft-shell tortoises (trionyx
something)and 5 of them have died. (they are only about 1-2 inches long each.) I bought three at first who all died and recently bought three more. Two of those have died. I got them at a local market and the vendor gave me no instructions. I\'m just supposed to \'put them in water and feed them every day.\' That didn\'t work. I modified my aquarium (which also houses fresh water fish if that makes a difference) to provide a small dry platform. However, the babies are still dying. (actually, two of them flat out disappeared. i searched FOREVER, but they were nowhere to be found.) What else can I do?
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

You have to be very carefull with soft shells (by the way I am unfamiliar with a soft shell tortoise as tortoises are land dwelling chelonians, is it a soft shell turtle) because they are extremely susceptable to shell rot and other problems caused by a poor habitat. You really need to identify the species, exactly, and then look up the proper care for that species: go to www.tortoisetrust.org or austinsturtlepage.com. A common problem with a lot of turtles from markets, pet stores, etc. is Respiratory infections. Those can often be fatal if untreated for periods of time. Do they appear to be yawning a great deal? Check the temperature on the tank, check the temperature on the land mass, check the hummidity levels. Soft shells tend to be very strictly carnivorous, try live fresh foods with he/she. The fresh water fish can also be a problem, fish can transfer infections. A lot of people argue that fish should be treated with an infection killing agent before fed to turtles or placed in the water for algae eating purposes. I know the people at tortoisetrust.org suggest that you never give or place live fish in with a turtle. You also might want to note that soft shelled turtles are quite beautiful but are extremely aggressive. I would make sure you have the tank temp right, hatchling turtles are very dependent on correct and constant temperatures in their tank. Make sure he or she doesn\'t have a RI. Check for shell rot. Also, note that you MUST have a UVA/UVB light and a Basking bulb. Those are necessary for the turtles survival! Unless, you live in a constantly hot area and leep your house constantly hot you will need a water heater. And I find that you need a very STRONG filter to keep the water clean enough for a soft shell. I\'m not sure which type you have to really tell you the tank temp but you can find it on either of those websites.
  • Information