Reptoguard?

Discussions about turtles.
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks a bunch :)
Last edited by eallen on Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I dont know much about reptoguard, however I am never surprised at what turtles decide to munch on. Mine was eating river rocks and his styrofoam floating island. Keep an eye on it. I dont know if it will hurt them or not. Another option would be to put some fist sized rocks in and hide it in between rocks where they cant get to it.
As far as telling the sex, they have to be mature I understand it to be 5 inches or 5 years. Mine is 5 inches now and I cant tell, but the signs are males underside of his shell is concave to better adapt to mounting the female and females are convex so as to better hold eggs. The males are suppose to have larger back claws than the female and the opening on the tail is further down. However, those 2 details would be hard to tell if you didn\'t have one to compare it to so I just stick with checking the shell.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Rather than munching on Reptoguard, get your turtle some cuttlebone in the bird section (at Walmart it costs 88 cents), take off the shell, break it into little pieces and let some float in the tank. It\'s a good secondary calcium supplement, which it sounds like your turtle may be looking for). The Reptoguard will not kill salmonella, and if it contains sulfa or some other such drug and your turtle is healthy, you\'re exposing him to it unnecessarily and are wasting your money. (The calcium in it isn\'t even in a form that he can utilize.)
Last edited by mariza on Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks Mariza for clarifying that. I had heard that once about 5 inches you could sex by the shell. However, I have been looking and still couldn\'t tell. The anal opening appears to be further away from the shell so I think we named Herman correctly. He has been flirting ferociously lately by the way. He comes up to the class and does it. I think he sees his reflection.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

What do the front nails look like? Tilly wasn\'t fully 4 inches in length and I could already his nails were getting like spikes (he\'s just about 5 inches now and sometimes walks on his nails). The tail should also be thick at the base and taper to a point (reminds me of a stinger). The anal vent is decidedly closer to the tip on a male. If Herman\'s a boy, he\'s an awfully big boy.
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks Mariza, but now I\'m a little confused:) I know that isn\'t the form of clacium they need, I give them cuttle bone, I just wanted to know if they would get sick if they happened to munch on the reptoguard. (I thought it killed salmonella and other bacteria), which is why I was going to put it in the tank just in case... Maybe you can help me, I just dont\' want them getting sick.

Also, when you measure your turtle, do you measure from the tip of the head to the end of the tail, or do we measure the shell only? Thanks again for all the help...

A new mom worried about her babies :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The most common way to measure a turtle is to measure its straight carapace length (SCL), which is the length of the shell from the scute at the back of the neck to the end of the shell above the tail, not including the curve of the shell. You can easily do this by putting your turtle in between two books (like phone books) with his head and extremities retracted and then measure the distance between them.
Last edited by mariza on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for all the info, it is very much appreciated....
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Well, on second look I am beginning to think he is a she. So do females do the \"fanning\" as well? Because Herman has been flirting away! I have seen some strange activity as well. I noticed, I thought he was mounting the rocks, but once on top I have seen on a couple occasions it look as though Herman were trying to dig with his back feet. This concerned me that maybe it was a she trying to find a place to lay eggs. When do they generally begin doing this and I know they can become impacted if they have no where to lay, so what should I do?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks. I hadnt heard the term fanning before and assumed it was the flirting thing. I thought both male and female could do that. The front nails are getting a little long, but nothing like that pic and it is still a little hard to tell with the tale, but if I had to compare now with those pics...he is a she.
  • Information