New Turtle

Discussions about turtles.

I just got my first turtle on my vacation and I was wondering if ANYONE could help me.....I just went to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina and I got turtles from down there.....and they are called dime store turtles (at least thats what the man who sold them to me said) and I was wondering if anyone could help me in telling me what I need to do? I got this blue plastic lagoon thing....and I am not sure if thats what they need. Could someone help me?
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

Well, as soon as you can, get it out of that lagoon! They are nick-named \'death bowls\'!
You can put it in a 10 gal. tank or bigger, depending on what available space and moneys you have. Depending on what kind of turtle you have, you\'ll need to get a bigger one than a 10 gal. The care sheets on this site are very helpful, so I\'d check that out, cuz I dont know how helpful I am. Good luck with your turtle!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I got my first turtle in downtown LA. They arent even legal to sell that small, but mine was too. I went home and researched online ALOT to find out how to care for it. First they can live 30-50 years so they are a commitment. As wisp_13 said check out the links on this site. Go to turtle newbie, care sheets and setup and it should give you all the info you need to get started. It is really important because otherwise the little guys will die. Often the way they are bred and cared for they can come to you sick and you wont even know at first. Mine had a respiratory infection. The tank should be 10 gal for every inch of shell. I would get the biggest you can afford right off the bat otherwise you will be spending a lot of money. I started with a 10 gal which is good to start, but I got mine last sept and he is now 5 inches. So I have him in a 50 gal tank. They can get to 7 inches if male and 10 if female. The reason I say get the biggest you can afford is because not only will you have the cost of the new tank, but the new lighting to fit it and a new filter that can keep it clean as well as a new heater that can heat more water. Just do your homework and I am sure you will do great. Congrats and enjoy!Shelley
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Please take the time to read http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articl ... chling.htm and any links it gives you.
  • Information