advice on feeding

Discussions about turtles.
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

Hi! I was wondering if someone could help me with more specifics on how to feed my turtles. I have two 2 1/2 inch turtles, one is an RES and the other a yellow belly slider. I\'ve read so many different opinions on how much to feed, what to feed, when to feed taht I am one confused girl!

Maybe if someone could give me a glimpse of the way they feed their turtles everyday. How many pellets a day? If I need to give them veggies everyday, how much? How many times a week do I feed them crickets and live food? I would really appreciate any ideas. I\'m just afraid of overfeeding them, and then I\'m afraid of underfeeding them :) sigh... I love my turtles ( I have the new mom syndrom), they are the coolest pets ever, I just want them to he happy and full!

LIZ
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

First- no one wants to hear that kind of stuff you sicko!

Second- Hey girl, I know how you feel! I used to feed my turtle pellets, but he didnt like them very much (he\'s picky!). So now I feed him some tuna from the can (drained and fridgerated) And then some fresh broccoli, some escarole, romaine, and occasionally some seedless red grape bits. I have to make the pieces that I give him rather small though, because he is still a baby (about 2 1/2 inches) I tried celery, but its kinda hard to get it thin and small enough for him to be able to eat. I also feed him freeze dried blood worms, and shrimpies now and then for a snack and energy! It just depends on what you want to feed them, stay away from iceberg an spinage though.
As for how often you feed them, if your turtle is under a 1 1/2 then feed him once a day (it is hard to resist their begging though so I feed Harley, my turtle, once a day, but then I give him a couple small snacks throughout the day) If your turtle is older than 1 1/2 then you want to feed them about every other day.
I hope this helps! Good luck with your turtle!
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the advice, I will try out some different foods and figure out what they like and don\'t. I gave them small pieces of apples yeterday, and they really liked it! Anyways, thanks a bunch
Last edited by eallen on Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

First you should feed them what will fit in their head only. This is the rule of thumb. Second you just need to try different veggies and fruits. They can be picky, but if they are hungry they will eat it. I started mine on Reptomin baby pellets. Mine loved it. He wouldnt eat many veggies at first because as they are young they tend to be more carnivorous. However, becareful not to feed them too much meat because it can cause the shell to grow too fast and become deformed. Just kinda play it by ear. I might give mine meat once a week. You can feed them guppies, stay away from blood worms and the like as well as goldfish they are too fatty. Dont feed them iceberg lettuce, there are no nutrients. Romaine is good, but stay away from spinach and broccoli and bananas. Those deplete something they need, I just cant ever remember what. Check out the care sheets and turtle newbie links for more ideas. Their taste changes over time and they will eat more. Things like dried shrimp are to be used more as a treat not given all the time. Good luck and enjoy your babies!
Shelley
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

THanks for the info:)
  • Information