crawdaddys and minnows? help

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

in a river by my house there are tons of minnows ane super easy to catch crawdads
the minnows range in size from am inch to 5 or 6 inches and the crawdads are from an inch to about 7 inches. i know that turtles will eat the fish and i heard they would eat crawdads (with all the dangerous pinchers/claws removed/disabled, of course)
but my problem is that im worried about parasites in the animals, and i dont want to transfer that to my turtles/tank. do you know how i can quarrintine them in a dif. tank or treat them w/ something to be sure they dont have any parasites?

thanks in advance
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

Ask a veterinarian for formaline, that is what I have been told to treat all fish (even pet store fish) with before feeding your turtle. You will have to have a small tank to keep the minnows and crawdaddys in to treat them. Make sure that water is polluted in some way also.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You would have to make sure the water is not polluted.

I\'ve read you can also treat with acriflavine (sp.) as well.
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

Just noticed my typo: I meant is not rather than the posted is.
EarthVsJazz

I don\'t trust anything I didn\'t buy from a shop. You don\'t know where those things have been. Insecticeds, fertilizers, poison. Who knows what the Rain carries when it hits your river. Gasoline and oil, from a near by road. I don\'t trust the pet shop, let alone a river. Sorry. I hate spending money on Plants and stuff, because I know they won\'t last 24hrs. But its just better for them..

- Ed
  • Information