RES and Yellow Belly not getting along

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Jacen2141

PS - the yellow is fine...I was able to separate them before the RES did any damage to the yellow\'s foot.
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

I have heard it is very common. I keep all species seperate as a general rule of thumb. But I would think a yellow and a res would be fine since they are both types of sliders. Are they different sizes? If they are different in size you should not re-introduce the yellow, cause the res (assuming the res is larger) sees him as a potential food. Were they kept together where you bought them? How large is the tank? Sometimes turtle bickering occurs because there isn\'t enough room for the turtles to have his or her own fighting. I\'ve also heard it said from a vet when I was building an outdoor pond, that turtle will rarely fight over a basking spot cause they just want to rest then. However, fights often occur in water cause they eat and play there. I would suggest maximizing the water. They could also be fighting because they are both males or vice versa.
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

oops! I apologize, I didn\'t see the same size comment. Turtles will also see weaker turtles as food.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

my res is very aggressive
everything i put in the tank he kills
i got a alge eater he bit his face off (and he was big)
i got a big snail and he killed him too
i did want to get a nother turtle but i know he would try to kill him too
you probably should just keep him all by him self
Jacen2141

yes they were in the same aquarium when I bought them. And actually the yellow belly tends to be the more dominant turtle when it comes to feeding as the RES just hides under the shrubbery. The yellow belly takes food from my hands and allows me to watch him bask or do whatever to him. The RES slides off his basking rock as soon as I enter the room, only to hide. Both turtles are sharing a 20 long currently and are both only an inch long.
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

That only means that the yellow is more used to human contact. I have a side-neck that will hide when I approach the tank, but when the food is in there and I am \"not watching\" (or so he thinks) he rips things apart. I know that he was originally in a tank for 3 months at another location without incident and then one day he was found with a tank mate\'s head in his mouth. Unfortunately the other did not survive the attack. I am unable to place any other moving object in his tank without his attacking it. But he runs from me at all times (very shy, his tolerance for me is improving as he learns I mean him no harm and I am the \"food giver\"). If you put the yellow back in I would always be watchful. You can go for quite a while without incident and then something happens.
  • Information