Unidentified crawling object

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
sacrowley

We discovered this enormous turtle getting ready to cross a busy 5 lane interstate in Maryland. I am unsure what type of turtle it is --- please help me to identify this critter so we can provide the appropriate care until we release him or her in a safer place.

The turtle is approximately 12- 13 inches long by 8 - 9 inches wide. The turtles head and legs have thin yellow stripes, the underbelly of the shell is yellow and the top of the shell is dark with orange swirls which are not very noticeable except when wet.

I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
sacrowley

sacrowley wrote:
We discovered this enormous turtle getting ready to cross a busy 5 lane interstate in Maryland. I am unsure what type of turtle it is --- please help me to identify this critter so we can provide the appropriate care until we release him or her in a safer place.

The turtle is approximately 12- 13 inches long by 8 - 9 inches wide. The turtles head and legs have thin yellow stripes, the underbelly of the shell is yellow and the top of the shell is dark with orange swirls which are not very noticeable except when wet.

I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Never mind---I think I have identified the turtle as an Eastern River Cooter. The only odd thing is the location since the geography seems a little north of the normal area these turtles are found.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding care for this neat reptile, let me know.

Thanks again!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information