Found a turtle

Discussions about turtles.
jdalton

Hello, I was hoping you turtle experts could help me out. I found a turtle in my back yard today and am not sure what to do with it. I think it is wild. How do I tell if its wild. As far as I can tell it is an ornate box turtle, it\'s shell around the edges is quite chipped. Could someone please help me if I should give it to a pet store or find somewhere with some water to let it go?? I live in Colorado.

Thank you,

Brenda
turtledudeusa
Level 2
Level 2

I am no expert, but I have a few suggestions. First, I would suggest taking it to a herp vet and getting it checked out, because of the state of the shell. They may also know if it is wild or not. If it is wild and is healthy, I would suggest finding a typical habitat in the wild for it and turning it loose. (I am not very familiar with box turtles, and I don\'t really know what type of habitat they prefer. I do know that they are land turtles.) If it is wild, please return it to the wild where it can continue its natural way of life. If it isnt wild, and you have the proper means, you may want to consider accepting him as a new turtle friend. If you don\'t want to keep him, I suggest finding a turtle shelter or adoption place. You can probably find one near you by looking around the internet.
  • Information