a couple questions

Discussions about turtles.
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

Liz
Last edited by eallen on Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turtledudeusa
Level 2
Level 2

Hello, I hope I can answer a few of your questions!

Q)
1)They seem to be getting along fine, except that the wild one is always spooked when I come too close to the tank. Will he ever get used to me?

A)
1) The wild turtle will probaly get used to you with time. He should begin to recognize you as a safe being. If you wish to make him feel more comfortable, spend time near the tank, just sit and watch, making no sudden moves. When he is ready, he will come around!

Q)
2)But I\'ve read that they need shallow water in some area of the tank ( 20 gallon is what I have now)? If so, How could I arrange it, any suggestions?

A)
2) First, I would suggest getting a bigger tank (turtles need about 10 gallons of water per carapace (shell) length for each turtle). Also, I haven\'t ever heard that turtles need a shallow area. My red eared sliders are a little over 2 inches and swim well in a 55 gallon tank filled 3/4 of the way. As long as you have a basking area, I\'m pretty sure you\'ll be fine. If you still want to create a shallow area, you could build up part of the tank by filling it with a thick layer of rocks (make sure they are too big to be eaten by the turtles!).

Q)
3)Can I overfeed them? It seemed like they were still hungry. Is this normal? Do I feed them until they refuse food?

A)
3)YES! You can overfeed them! It is perfectly normal that your turtles will act hungry. They love to beg for food. Don\'t feed them until they refuse food. Feed them something close to the suggested amount.

Q)
4)How would you suggest I make sure they get their share of calcium?

A)
4)I use Cuttlebone. It is located in the bird section of most pet stores. Remove the hard backing, and break it into bite sized peices. Your turtles will munch on it!

Q)
5)And how often should I clean the tank?

A)
5)To be honest, clean it when it seems dirty. Or more specifically, about once a month, depending on the quality of filter you have.

I hope I have helped!
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it, about the tank, I\'m getting a 125 gallon from a friend in a week, so hopefully that will do for a couple years :)
  • Information