Biotize?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
kujo 5
Level 2
Level 2

My turtle recently got an eye problem from the chlorine in my water or at least that\'s what I thought until I went to the pet store to pick up something that would take chlorine out of the water. When I got there and I explained my problem to the guy there he told me that I should be using this Biotize waste degrader that was givin to me with the turtle(I tried this before but in my opinion it made my tank dirtier, so I haven\'t used it since). Now I\'m confused. Is he right or should I be using this aquatize for the chlorine?
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I myself use both. It is said that the chlorine can sometimes cause problems with the health of a turtle, but some say it helps kill the bacteria in the water. It might depend on your turtle. Your turtle could have gotten an infection for the particals in the water. I would try to use both and if there isn\'t any improvement with your turtle then I would take it to the vet.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

i had that biotize i don\'t think it made the water cleaner but for the clorine i use turtle water conditioner (its a white turtle shaped) that neutralizes the water
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

OK>>> I have typed this 3 times now and each time hit reset instead of send reply..AARRRGGG. Anyhow... I use water conditioner when I change my tank or add more water to remove chlorine. When the tank looks a bit cloudy, but isnt quite ready to change I use clarifier to settle any waste the turtle is kicking up, since I have no rocks on the bottom to keep it down. You didn\'t specify the symptoms of your turtle. Chlorine usually causes them to blink a lot and rub at their eyes. Yours may have an infection. I would be sure to change the tank every other day for a few days and watch how he does, using dechlorinator (water conditioner)if it doesnt get better I would contact a herp vet to see about antibiotics as it is probably an infection. Water cleanliness is very important to the turtles health all thewya around, shell, lungs and eyes.
  • Information