tank temp???

Discussions about turtles.

on this site i read that you should keep the water temp between 70 and 78o feren. 76 is the best. i think mine might be to cold, is that bad? my dad is yelling at me saying, \"it\'s cold bloded so it\'s fine.\" it\'s just that we just had a cool front come in and i am worried. :(
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

80 degrees is what my turtles are at,and maybe a higher wattage basking light is in order.
pictafan
Level 1
Level 1

When our turtle (in an unheated tank) got pneumonia our vet said there is a dangerous range between 60 to 70 degrees (if my memory serves) were it is not cold enough for them to hibernate and not warm enough for them to be comfortable. If the water is continually in this range, they will be susceptible to infections. We keep it heated now at about 80 degrees.

wow, i\'m definetly going to look out for that from now on.
pictafan
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the vet also said that the turtle should have a basking lamp and that the air temperature in the basking area should be about 85 degrees.

He also said we should have a UV lamp in addition to the basking lamp. Got the basking lamp but haven\'t taken of the UV lamp yet. Not the simple pet we were hoping for.
l8or g8or

I find it amazing that when owning a pet turtle, you have to be so careful about the basking area temperature, the water temperature, and if they eat gravel or not.... when they are out in the wild - water temp. isn\'t ALWAYS 80, and the sun isn\'t always out, and there is definately little stones for them to eat. So how in the world do they survive!!! Just a thought......
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

l8,
I was thinking the same thing...I haven\'t gotten around to getting the lamps yet. I have the turtles in a tank by the window and the natural sunlight heats up the rocks that I have in the tank, and they seem to be doing fine.
  • Information