Depressed RES not eating!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Peach

Please help me my turtle Sandford has not really been eating for a couple of weeks. Ever since the weather has been nice and I have been letting him wondering outside, he won\'t eat and lays on his rock all the time (Lives indoors in a tank). Now I have had him for 6years and he has never done this before (has gone a day or 2 without eating at times but think that is attitude). Please help me, I am extremely worried about him!!!!
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Not Eating

There are numerous possibilities why your turtle has either not eaten anything, or has stopped eating. Some possibilities are stress, sickness, aggressive feeding by other turtles, their habitat is too cold, incorrect dietary items, putting food in the wrong place (ie: on land for aquatics) or a variety of other reasons. Fixing the problem requires that you identify the reasons for your turtle\'s not eating. Some eat well, but will not eat ReptoMin or other floating turtle foods. These types you simply have to work with in getting them to take the prepared food items.

Some turtles will go through periods of time where they are perfectly healthy but do not eat. I have a male adult Western Painted that goes 2 weeks of not eating 2-3 times per year. I simply pay more attention to him during this period of time until he begins feeding again to ensure there are no other problems. Also, some turtles will eat less as the days get shorter. This usually only lasts a few weeks or so.

I got this information from a very good website i found while searching for information about turtles.

Good Luck:D
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Mine started acting like this when it got a respiratory infection. Is he looking like he is yawning or opening his mouth. Watch for bubbles from the nose or mouth. I ended up having to take mine to the vet for antibiotic shots and changed the water every other day in the meantime until he got well. Watch for any other symptoms.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

mine did that before , didn;t eat for a few days
did you change the set up at all
cuz when i did he didn\'t eat for a week
another reason is the temp
make it a lil warmer
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How warm has it been when you\'ve been letting him wander outside? Could he have gotten a draft and now has the beginning of a respiratory infection?
  • Information