?False Map Turtle?

Discussions about turtles.
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

Im pretty sure that is the kind of turtle that I have, I was wondering, are they good turtles? (all turtles are good, but)I read that they were hard to take care of and died easily in captivity. I dont think this is true, any input on this would be greatly appreciated!
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

i have 3 mississippi maps, which used to be classified as a subspecies of false map (i think). I have had snoopy for about 3 1/2 years and she had been in someone elses care for an unknown amount of time. she was an adult when i got her, and she is very healthy.

about 5 months ago i got 3 hatchlings of the same species. i gave one to a friend because it was aggressive, but all three are doing very well.

i am a high school science teacher and the turts live in my classrom during the year. they do fine, even though they are usually a skittish type of turtle. i have them in a low traffic area of the classroom where they get at least 40 minutes of peace at a time.

they do have more shell problems than most kinds of turts, but if you keep your water SUPER clean, you should not have a problem. (in the adult turtle\'s tank i have a filter rated for 100 gallons, and the tank is only filled with about 15 gallons of water).

map turts also don\'t gete as big as res, so if space is an issue, male map turts would be a good option.

i hope this helps!!
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks so much your info help tonz! I have a male, and like you said, he is very skittish. He trys to swim through the glass all the time, and I\'ve had him for about 4 months, you think he\'d have figured it out by now! I also noticed that along his....not sure what to call it....his ?spine? part of his shell there are like these little pointy things is all I can describe them as, is that a big problem? they point kinda backwards more than just straight up though. And also, the area of shell between his front and back legs, kind of dips down a bit. Am I being paranoid or is this a shell problem? He is my baby and I dont want anything to happen to him. I also keep his water as clean as I can, with conditioners, and then just plain cleaning the whole thing. Thanks for all you info.
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

Could whoever is in charge please block this guy?
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

okay, you are so sick. Seriously, these message boards are for people with turtles that need help with them, or questions about them! Not for you to babble about the disgusting things you do!
  • Information