Does Anyone Have Snails In There Tank

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

I had a sucker fish to control alge but my res killed him so i got a snail to eat the alge i did here snails reproduce rapidly but i am wondering if my res will eat them before they become a problem?
any tips???
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

I\'ve spoke to veterinarians about this very thing. I have various species of turtles (in different tanks of course). A snail bought from a pet shop can reproduce amazing quickly, my father had several in a tropical fish tank and discovered over 200 snails in his tank later because of rapid reproduction. I would suggest treating the snails in the same manner many do feeder fish for Res\'s and others, put them in a treater tank with formaline (check spelling, your veterinarian can give it to you). It will prevent any illness your beloved pet can get from over-crowded aquarium conditions that many feeder fish and snails are kept in. I have two snails in all of my tanks and have never had a problem with reproduction. I have found that sliders will eat snails quite voraciously. So I\'d start with two, usually one will survive. I just try to keep a couple in at all times. One year I went through about 6 snails, but normally I don\'t have a problem with them. Plus, they were a nice treat for the turtle. If you want to prevent them from eating the live snails, there is a product called \"can \'o snails\" designed for turtles. It is relatively cheap and a great addition to a Res\'s diet. I\'ve found that every time I\'ve tried algae eaters they have suffered attacks from my different turtles.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

i got him because i heard they ate alge do they??
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

Yes, they are excellent tank cleaners, they will eat algae and help clear turtle wastes. Great accessory to filtration systems. They are much better than the various types of algae eating fish, in my opinion.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

i know someone who bought a snail for her fish tank and now there are thousands of them. dont know how long it took though
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i bought 4 snails cause i was scared they reproduce too quick but i don t have any baby snails in there and my turtle ate 2 of them already....so i don t think u will have a problem with overpopulation...
EarthVsJazz

I have heard about over reproduction with water snails. Peronally I have had water snails for about 12 years now, and I have never run in that problem. Most advice I was given would be to check the filter and make sure they can\'t get in, and clog it. Outside of that I think they are a great source and do help keep the tank looking good. And they look cool too. I try to make sure that I get snails of all different colors and species. That should keep reproduction at a low.

- Ed
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

THE SNAIL DID A LOUSY JOB AT CLEANING THE TANK
I STILL GOT ALGE AND MY RES ATE HIM ANYWAYS AND HE WAS A BIG ONE TOO
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i thing the snails are better to clean the left over food and the waste...they don\'t seem enjoying algea but they eat it when they have nothing else.but u need more then one to do some cleaning job!!!and if ur turtle eat them is just a plus in their diet(i think...)but if u don\'t want spend a fortune in those snail if found this site where the guy raise is own food and snail...
http://reslider.free.fr/raising.htlm
i\'m gonna try it cause my turtle seem enjoying the snail a lot now then she taste it...but u should still buy another algea eater...
EarthVsJazz

I had a problem with that link. I do aggree with the food/waste more then the sides of the tank. To be honest. Most people don\'t relize the amount of work it takes to keep turtles healthy. I have 3 snails, and I still have to scrub the sides, once a week to keep it clean, in between cleanings. Like I said they look cool, and they clean more then you think.

- Ed

Try to find that link because all the vendors here have overpriced, not so healthy snails for sale. Wow that rhymed. And I can\'t keep driving to 1 hour 1/2 to Ft. Lauderdale for quality fish/snails/plants/ghost shrimp.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i don\'t know if it can help but the name of the site is reslider\'s swamp .and i had a bunch of brown algea we put 2 algea eater(no the big ugly black one but those small,slim fish with silvery color and a black strip on the side)and 5 snails and everything is cristal clean in 2 days..but i only have 1 turtle. u might need more then 3 snails with 3 turtles?!? by the way i read about when u have overpopulation of snail in ur tanks(the beginning of..)u just have to crush a couple of them on the glass of the tank and ur turtle just gonna eat them...but i never try it,never have too...
hope it help.. :)
lil_turtle_lover
Level 1
Level 1

how would i feed a snail to my turtle? will it eat it automatically or do i have to.. ugh... smush it? what about the shell? do snail shells have protien in them like egg shells? HELP!
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

all animals have protine in them. the turtles should just eat them if they see them on the glass, and they can crunch their shells. i never saw mine eat and but i put in like 20-25 small, cm size ones and when i did full tank cleaning, i only found like 10. i have large rocks and the snails are alwayse hiding. make sure the snails are pretty small, or else they cant get crushed.

to answer your quisten directly: they will eat it autimatically.
my main point of them is to clean b4 they become lunch and dinner
i also like ghost shrimp, while my tirts do:) there a lot of protine though
  • Information