***HELP!!!***

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
angel204

I have a RES that\'s about the size of a quarter and she NEVER EVER puts her whole body in her shell.Not even when she goes to sleep! I don\'t know how old she is because I bought her and I\'ve had her since last August so she\'s atleast a year old. Is something wrong with her? or is she in her growing years and don\'t know how to do that yet? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

~~~ANGEL204~~~
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

Turtles pull their heads and limbs into their shell when they feel that they are in danger. I would think that she is just very comfortable with her living conditions. My turtles rarely pull their limbs into their shell and they have all been seen by a veterinarian. If you are truly worried you can make an appointment with a vet to have her checked. Alternatively, you could startle her (make a rapid hand movement in her line of vision). All turtles, no matter the age, have the ability to pull their limbs into their shell. Unless they are deformed, injured, or in some way prohibited from doing it. I would think she is just relaxed and comfortable. In fact, my turtles tend to startle me because they often bask in the sun with all limbs stretched out in a position that looks to be extremely uncomfortable.
angel204

Thanks for your reply I have asked this question before and someone said she may be too fat but I don\'t think so cause wouldn\'t her shell grow with her also???

~~~ANGEL204~~~
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

The easiest way to check and see if she is obese would be to see if she is capable of fitting all her apendages in her shell at one time. An obese turtle will pull appendages in her shell; however, other appendages have to come out to make room. In other words, if she pulls her head in and has to stick her back legs out than she is probably obese. Turtles can become obese and not be able to fit all appendages in their shell. I\'d suggest having her seen by a vet or startling her. I would hazard to assume that you would be able to tell she was obese from her appearance. Look online for pictures of obese turtles and compare. Good Luck!
angel204

I want to safely diet her because what you said applys to her and I wanted to know how we can safely diet her we currently give her a full pellet(the big ones) and we break in in half for her and when she finishes that we give her some shrimp as a reward for eating her pellets daily how should I safely diet her or how should I feed her?

~~~ANGEL204~~~
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

Ok, diet is difficult. I rehabilitated a turtle that was grossly overweight. Never feed a turtle more than she can eat in a few minutes, the amount varies from owner to owner, some argue 5 and some will say as much as 15 minutes. You will want to correct her diet in both quantity and quality. I would suggest going to www.tortoisetrust.org. The website has links for proper feeding of aquatic turtles. Simply follow their instructions for feeding her and correcting her diet. They are very knowledgable and helpful.
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

Here is the exact link for the tortoise trust site.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/aquaticdiet.htm
angel204

Thanks for the website address and I visited it and it gave some great advice and do you think that maybe I could make her the littler by going through excersise by taking her outside daily and letting her walk around? :D

~ANGEL204~
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

Actually, that is a really good idea because the natural sunlight will do wonders for her shell. I would set her down on a nice, grassy area, and let her walk at her leisure. Turtles don\'t tend to like to be \"played\" with but they do seem to like trips outside. They can graze on the grass and so on. Keep a close eye on her outside though, she can burn her shell (kind of like a sunburn) if exposed to the sun for too long with no shelter to hide under, also, they can move quicker than you think. You don\'t want her to run off while you\'re engrossed in something else and not be able to find her. You\'d be suprised, that happens.
angel204

Thanks for ALL your help:D and I hope that later if you have any questions then I can help you in the same way you have helped me and maybe we can continue to help each other in many ways!!! Thanks Again!!!:D

~ANGEL204~
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

You are very welcome! Good luck with the diet.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I am a bit concerned that your turtle is only the size of a quarter after a year. I have had my res for almost a year and its shell is about 4 inches now. I follow the guideline of feeding only what will fit in its head. So I put in pellets that would fit in its head and then float romaine and other veggies. Occassionally I will give protein like crickets, fish, worms etc. Too much protein will cause the shell to grow too fast and become deformed.
angel204

The guy that I bought her from said that she was a red eared slider from China and that she would only get a little bigger then a quarter altogether and then we took her to the pet store and they said she was a RES so I don\'t know what to believe???

~Angel204~
LenoreUsher
Level 2
Level 2

I missed the \"quarter\" size part. I have never heard of a RES staying that small. Pet Store people are some of the worse people to ask advice from, I can go on for hours about the awful things I\'ve heard some pet store employees say. Can you post a picture of her? Someone can probably identify her. I\'ll do a few searches and see if I can find anything on a RES for China that is that tiny. But I am positive there isn\'t one.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Those who sell these are selling them illegally and they want people to think they will stay small and cute. However, that is NOT the truth. Males can get up to 7 inches and females 10 inches. They are a lifetime commitment living 30-50 years! You will need to continue to provide a tank or container that will house your turtle using the rule of thumb 10 gals for every inch of shell. Mine is not even a year old and it is already about 5 inches. BE SURE to check out the links above for care (feeding) and setup, to be sure you have all your turtle needs. I would also read the turtle newbie link as well. This will give you more info on your turtle. China is known for mass breeding the RES with little concern for their well being or care. Good luck
angel204

My RES will be a year old on Labor Day and is still the size of a quarter!!! Does anyone know ANYTHING about it???
  • Information