Land or Aquatic?

Discussions about turtles.
susancouser

I have been considering getting a turtle for quite a while now, but I'm not sure if I should get a Land or Aquatic turtle. Which one is best for a beginner? Could anyone suggest a species? Thanks
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

i would say a box turtle, they live long, eat veggies and dont swim. But, they they are also on the smelly side :( all they need is a 10-15 gallon tank, a heat lamp of some sort, food, water, and wood shavings and some little hide aways places.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

I would suggest an RES. They are aquatic and they love the water. That way you will have the best of both worlds. They are precious, and if someone answers my posts on here, they sing to you! LOL Box turtles do tend to be smelly. Way to smelly for me. I like the RES personally.
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

I prefer the RES. They are so cute when they swim around, I don't know how anyone could'nt love them!
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

just curious...what did u decide?
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

just curious...what did u decide?
susancouser

I haven't decided yet, still doing research. I was thinking a Box Turtle, not the Asian ones, but American. But I thought American Box Turtles where endangered! I thought about a RES, but I thought you have to change the water often. I do not want to have to re-do there habitat every couple of days!! I also want one I can bring into schools and intergrate into my wildlife presentations I do. I guess I will keep researching.
Boogie
Level 2
Level 2

I'd definitely recommend box turtles since they need less attention and are less picky eaters. They're not as cute or as fun to look at but are easier to handle and don't require water to swim in.
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

I have found RES very easy to raise. They are a bit more maintence because of the water though. But if you use a rock base bottle instead of a grave base bottle in your tank it will make a bigg difference in how clean the water stays.
  • Information