shell problem?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Mistix
Level 1
Level 1

Our fastest growing, biggest eating, res has whitish spots on its shell, almost like she has bumped the shell..But the others don\'t have the same spots. Could it be a fungus or a rot of the shell and how should it be treated? This infliction seems to be getting bigger.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It\'s possible your turtle could be shedding scutes, which turtles do as they grow (you did say this was the biggest and fastest-growing one). As the scute looses air can get trapped under the shell and make the area look whitish. In the water the area will often look silvery/metallic. If you gently press on the area, is it firm? Is your turtle otherwise healthy? Does it look like the scutes are getting ready to lift off?
Mistix
Level 1
Level 1

I took the turtle to the pet store to ask their opinion and told it looked like \'pyramiding\'(?). Caused by a vitaminA definicency. I found that hard to believe since I feed reptomin baby pellots, feeder guppies and red lettuce. But, I have a suppliment to give it or rather soak it in so she will drink the solution.
  • Information